New to Forum and Dementia

KBArts

Hi Everyone,
Well I have been reading through lots of different threads and have decided to join in the hope that I can offer support to someone or indeed receive support as and when required.

My Civic Partner, Keith was diagnosed just over 2 years ago with Alzheimer's and although it has been hard for both of us in the early days of the diagnosis, we have adapted to the change in roles.

We are at the early stages of this dreadful illness and I just hope that I can offer the support that so many contributors to this forum obviously give to their partners. Only time will tell.

Although much younger than Keith, we are fortunate that I was able to leave work and concentrate on caring for Keith. I just found that I couldn't manage both as neither work or Keith was getting 100% from me. In a way leaving work relieved so much pressure that we can now enjoy our time together, making new memories, no matter how long they last in Keith's mind, I know that he has enjoyed our time together as have I.

Anyway I will be visiting the forum from time to time, hopefully to just talk about silly happy time to share with you.

Andy

Christin

Jun 29, 2009
Somerset
Hello Andy, welcome to Talking Point. I hope you find a lot of support here.

If you are interested, there are a great number of fact sheets that may offer help and advice.

factsheets

best wishes to you

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum. Andy, this section of the forum is not used as much as the general section and I know that quite a few gay people use both. I would post in both sections because everyone supports everyone regardless of sex etc. If you have specific questions you wish to post etc then use this section but I would hope you join in the general section too. Look forward to seeing you somewhere on this site:)

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hiya Andy and welcome to talking point,

I was interested in you saying that you can make new memories together now that you are there all the time. One thing that we did lasted a long time and worked as a memory type of game too. We made up an electronic photo frame and either had pictures of people on it and the other one we used were pics of places or things, like an old car they used to own. We used to play the frame and we would guess who's picture was going to be next. My mother loved this game and there was much laughter too. The bonus was that it allowed for reminiscing and we would have discussions about things like fashion etc and some of the horrendous looking clothes we all wore.

Might be something you can enjoy doing together.

Fiona

KBArts

Thank you everyone for the welcome and the advice and tips. I love the idea of the electronic picture frame. I might have to borrow that idea :)

Well we are off on our first foreign holiday since Keith's diagnosis next Monday and the first one that I have planned as Keith would normally have done all the preparations. We are both looking forward to the experience and hopefully we wont have too many problems to overcome.

Winter Sun here we come - Lets hope I have nothing to report other than a great time together.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hello Andy and a warm welcome to Talking Point, glad you have joined us, would like to wish you and Keith a wonderful winter break:)
Look forward to hearing how it went!
Best wishes to you both
Chris x

David0169

Apr 3, 2013
Morning

My Partner has recently been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and its now got to the stage where he knows my name but not our relationship etc, he doesn't even know what day of the week it is most of the time, this is killing me, this morning for example I was told to get out of the house as I didn't live here and just treated the place as somewhere to stay - we have been together for 25 years, I feel lonely and don't think I can take much more.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope your holiday went well Andy. Perhaps you could visit the Tearoom forum and tell us about it there. That's what I do - report on our holidays and tell people how my husband has coped. I always get a lot of lovely support through this.

David I'm do sorry things are bad for you both. Do you have any support? For example have you had a community assessment done? This includes a carer's assessment.

As was suggested by someone else on this thread you might get more information and advice if you post on the main forum. I'm glad you've found TP though - keep posting. x

Here is the link to the main forum:

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?25-Support-for-people-with-dementia-and-their-carers

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi Andy. My husband was diagnosed with Alzheimer's just over a year ago so I can empathise. We are both retired so spend a lot of time together. We are a heterosexual couple who have been married for nearly 44 years but I don't think sexual preference makes us so different. I hope you agree. I have just been on a CrISP course run by the Alzheimer's society for carers of people with dementia. I found it really helpful. My thoughts are with you ANC your partner.

legolover

Jul 25, 2011
West Midlands
How hard for you David, that he no longer recognises your relationship. I wonder if that hostility and telling you to get out was just a one off? Sadly its common for people to forget who their wife, partner, son etc actually is, or to think they are someone else such as a parent. Very hurtful for you. You could try leaving the room then coming back in a few minutes and saying how lovely it is to see him and he may then respond more positively