New to Dementia Care

ayby0611

Dec 30, 2015
About a year and a half ago, my mom was placed in a nursing home for health reasons and some dementia. Things seems to have gotten worse. One day she is more alert and can communicate, and the next day she is quiet as a mouse. It seems that the nursing home staff has just decided to simply maintain her physically without much emphasis on the dementia.

This is all new to us and we were wondering where we can get information about dementia that might help her and the rest of us. We hear that there are certain medications that can help dementia, but so far her doctor hasn't mentioned it. We really wish someone would take the time to evaluate her (neurologist perhaps) and let us know the level she is at and what type of care she needs. When we inquire with her doctor and the staff at the nursing home, they just brush us off with, "oh, that is just the way she will be." Very frustrated!!

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I think it's perfectly understandable that you want to know more. If it's all down to one doctor (a GP?) that doesn't seem right. You don't say what the health reasons for the NH placement were but you do say that when she was admitted there was 'some dementia'. I would want to know a lot more about whether the apparent decline has been investigated in any way and whether any treatment might help. She, and you, deserve that as a minimum surely.