New to Dementia & being a carer

Tell

Jun 20, 2011
Bedford
Hello All

I am new to all this so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions!

My mother in law has Dimentia and I have decided to become her carer by giving up work (or at the very least going part time so that I can spend time with her). We live in the Bedford area and was wondering if anyone out there knows of any groups we can attend together so that we can work on getting her mentally stimulated as at the moment she just sits at home alone most of the time and thats just not right as she is still capable of enjoying her life with a little help. If there are no groups out there has anyone got any other suggestions? I have a weeks unpaid leave next week and I really want to pack her week with fun things we can do together.

I look forward to hearing from someone.
Chants:)

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Chants, hello and welcome to Talking Point.

I would contact your local Alzheiner's Society and see what events, cafes, facilities, etc, they have to offer that you could take part in.

We have a Carers' Project around here which is part of the local council so I'd get in touch with your council or look on their website for anything going on around you, they are a very good contact for all sorts of events, help and support.

I hope you have a good week together and look forward to hearing what you get up to!
With best wishes from Jo

Tell

Jun 20, 2011
Bedford
Hiya Jo

Many thanks for your reply!

I am looking forward to it a little nervous, and under very strict instructions from her doctor to take her to many cafes etc as we need her to put on weight they are trialling her on the drug 'Aricept' but it appears to be surpressing her apetite she has gone from 6St10 to a very low 6St1lb which is really worrying, she has never been big but her apetite had always been healthy so its very sad to see.

I contacted Alzheimers & they are sending me some bits in the post, I must admit I didn't think about the council but I will definately give them a call after I have done a bit of research tonight on the old internet.

Its nice to know if I have a question or concern I can come on here and speak to some lovely people who understand!!
Hope the rest of your day is a good one!
Chants

Leonieash

Mar 21, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi Tell and welcome to Talking Point.

I would suggest you search for Alzheimers cafes and meetings.

Also I know this sounds daft but are there any local places that you can buy quizzes from which you can take a couple of months to fill in. My Grandad does these and working with him we reach the answer for most questions.

Good Luck and I hope we can be of support to you along your caring journey!!!

Jo1958

Mar 31, 2010
Yorkshire
Chants, hi
I've just had a quick look on Bedford Council's site and there are contacts there that should be very useful for you.

Your MIL's weight loss is a worry but then with you around more you can keep a better eye on what she likes to eat and what problems she could be having, I'm sure you'll enjoy the cafes and garden centres too. It's good to hear that you already got a good relationship with her GP and they are being proactive with trialling Aricept.

I look forward to seeing you around the site, it's a wonderful place for support and information.
With best wishes from Jo

Last edited:

shauna

Sep 10, 2010
Hi

Wecome to TP you will find great support and advice here and make some lovely friends

Good luck on your journey with your mum in law she is blessed to have a caring daughter in law like you.

look forward to seeing you around

Shauna

sunny

Sep 1, 2006
Hi there,

Have you tried National Trust gardens - lovely places to visit worth the subscription or money on the day at the door. Are very suitable for people like your Mum and you - have nice tea rooms, good paths, wheelchairs if needed, good toilets etc.
I used to take my Mum out to these places whilst I could and she enjoyed.
As you live in Bedford have you tried the Alzheimers Society in that area for local info.

Tell

Jun 20, 2011
Bedford
I would like to thank everyone for their comments and ideas and i have already put some into use and I intend to try out the Ntional Trust gardens too I think she would really like that so long as the journey is not a long one so will do a bit of research on that!

Many thanks all
Tell