New to all this #2: Wandering in Dementia

Harold Hill

May 12, 2007
London
I am extremely touched by all the kind responses to my first posting. Thank you.

My wife has now been in care for just over 2 weeks and has settled in well. In fact she is extremely happy. What a relief! She has a nice room and all the staff are kind and caring. She has been home twice and adjusts well to the change of scene each time. She is a different person - smiling and joking with her visitors and staff. Of course, the underlying symptoms remain, but with real people around her all the time the frightening hallucinations have ceased, as have the compulsive repetitive activities that would confine her to the bedroom for hours at a time.

The only drawback is the fact that she is not allowed out on her own, and she really wants just visit Enfield Town and potter about for an hour or so.

Anyway, I have found a website (www.wanderingindementia.com) which supplies tracking devices specifically for the problem of wandering. Has anyone any experience of using these devices? I have a GPS in the car and this often goes wrong, so I am a little sceptical......

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It must be a very big responsibility for Nursing and care homes to allow residents to go out by themselves.

So many things could go wrong, I`m sure the last thing the home would want, in this age of litigation, is to leave themselves open to criticism.

When my mother was in her home, I was allowed to take her out, but it was my responsibility. She also went out with her personal carer.

Do any of the staff at your wife`s home take residents out? Does she go out with you?

When my neighbour was in his home, residents who were considered able were allowed to go out in pairs. On one occasion, two friends got seperated somehow, and one had a panic attack, finding herself alone. This practice was discontinued, as it was considered too risky.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Harold

I'm so glad your wife has settled so well in her NH. It must be a great weight off your mind that she is happy there.

I can understand her frustration at not being allowed out on her own, but you can understand the ruling, after all they are responsible for her, and could face horrendous claims should anything go wrong.

I'm not sure whether they would allow the monitor, either, for the same reason.

One possibility has been discussed here before. You could ask the NH if they would allow you to employ someone from an agency to go in perhaps one or two afternoons a week to tke your wife out for a walk. I know some would do this.

Good luck,