New tests for Calendar and word puzzle

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Thanks for the comments about the June 2009 computer screen background Calendar, your right it is far to large which I realized myself once I checked it out, must have got my pixel sizes all wrong, but then it got to late in the day yesterday for me to try and correct it.

So I’m trying again after having resized the photo, if this works then you should be able to download the photo by click right and select (Save picture as) into your pictures files.

Then to set as your screen background: click right and select (Set as desktop background) and the calendar should appear on your screen as the background, then each time you turn on our use your computer the calendar will always be before your eyes.

As for the Word Puzzle I can’t understand why you had problems as when I downloaded it myself to check it out the words document with the puzzle was all correct, so what I have done is to upload it again but this time as two documents 1 with the puzzle grid and words, the other as the answers page, please see if it works better this time and let me know.

If the Puzzle concept work then I intended to start it as a (New social Group) so that all the puzzles appear in just one place and don’t get lost amongst all the other threads, in fact I was also considering to do the calendars in the same way in there own group!

Comments please as obviously want to get it right before going ahead, just as a thought I’m wondering if it will only work on a desktop computer and not a laptop?

View attachment No 1 Word puzzle within my mind.doc

View attachment No 1 Answers Word puzzle within my mind.doc

Test 2009 june screensave.jpg

I’ve just downloaded the puzzle and calendar and they work OK on my computer, so now I await your own feedback?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Barry

I managed to download the Word Puzzle but the clue letters in the puzzle were very unclear and I had problems reading them all.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Barry,

That all worked OK for me and looked great (with one comment below).

The format of the word puzzles is ingenious and I have never seen it before. I think it might be helpful to people new to the format to have an opening sentence at the top of the page just simply explaining how the puzzle is worked.

Something like "Match the names below to the squares in the ..." I'm sure you can do a better job of explaining it than me :eek:.

One other thing I noticed, which might have made the letters in the boxes unclear, is that the text box margins (left and right) were so large that the full letter shape was not being displayed.

I've modified your Word documents as an experiment and attached them to this message. All I did was:

1. Click on any text box in the document.

2. Choose Format > Object from the menu.

3. Click on the Text Box tab.

4. Change the left and right margins to .15cm (just hit the down arrow once).

And I've made one final experiment if you don't mind, I've saved your Word files as PDF's. I'm not sure how many people have Word these days and there can be problems with version compatibility, so it can be handy to offer a PDF as well.

I have the Adobe software that makes PDF's but I'll see what freeware versions there are if you're interested.

Great work - keep it up :)

Sandy

Attachments

• No 1 Word puzzle within my mind-1.doc
    118.5 KB · Views: 733
  • No 1 Answers Word puzzle within my mind.doc
    102.5 KB · Views: 687
  • No 1 Word puzzle within my mind-1.pdf
    68.2 KB · Views: 701
  • No 1 Answers Word puzzle within my mind.pdf
    68 KB · Views: 686

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Sandy,

Well I’ve been following your instruction but when I go into (Format) there is nothing in my system showing (Text Box) to change the margins? So I start to wonder if our systems are the same? I am using (Windows 2003)

But what I notice from your modified document is that when it comes up on the screen its at 88% size, whereas my document is at 75% but to change that I just go to top right zoom and select (Page width) then the document comes at the same size as you sent me but I cant save it to file in the format?
So at the moment I’m at a bit of a loss of what to try next.

As for changing the opening wording with the puzzles that’s no problem for me to correct

But although I do have (Adobe reader 8) as yet I don’t understand how to make a document it that system? :confused:

Any other suggestions as I want to get it right for the benefit of everyone as I have over 80 word puzzles that I have completely formulated myself ready to use! What about the background calendar was the size OK?

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi again,
One other thing I now notice is that I don’t think I would be able to put the puzzles or the calendars in (Social groups) as I can’t see anyway of uploading them as when we post a new thread and you just Scroll down and click on Manage Attachments but this doesn’t show in the groups sections for (post a new discussion) so I’m getting to the point where I thinking have taken on to much, what I thought would be a good form of brain stimulation for people is turning out to be brain frustration for me! So I might just have to forget the idea!

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Morning Barry

The calendar is a lovely size now:) thank you.

As for getting pictures into the groups. You have to make a file on your profile and then they can be sent from there to the group.

so I’m getting to the point where I thinking have taken on to much,
Just try to take your time. These things can sometimes drive me up the wall with frustration but the end result is usually worth it. The calendar is definitely worth it:):)

I've been meaning to ask you when Eid is, or has it gone?

Love

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Help, advise, what do you think?

Hi Helen,
I’m pleased to hear that the calendar is a good size and I understand what you mean about putting them into my profile albums but will the photos still be the same pixel size so that they can be used as a screen save background? Maybe I should just give it a try first then if it works I can start the group, but then I still have the problem with the Word Puzzles, the size is OK and I can post them onto (I gave dementia OK) but again what I wanted to do was to start that as a group as well so that the Word Puzzles where all in one place and don’t get lost amongst all the other normal posting / threads on the website, any ideas would be very helpful, what I’m about to do with this rely is to post another revised calendar that I have just done and will add a word puzzle then please let me know what you think

And by the way EID will be on 21-22 September this year

View attachment No 2 Answers word puzzle Words in our dementia.doc

View attachment No 2 Word puzzle Words in our Dementia.doc

View attachment No 4 Answers Word puzzle Animals.doc

View attachment No 4 Word puzzle Animals.doc

AFC screen save full size1.jpg

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Barry,

First - the question about how to include the word puzzles in a social group. Perhaps we can ask Said if it is possible to have another type of album within the groups that allow the storage of other types of documents, such as Word documents and PDF's.

I have no idea if the Talking Point software can do this, but we can at least ask.

In the meantime, the only other option would be to create a thread with word puzzles and link to that thread from the social group.

There is a way to put pictures in Social Group posts, but I need to write some solid instructions on how to do it.

The short version is that you need to use the Insert Image icon:
img_button.jpgwhich works almost exactly like the Insert Link icon.

With Insert Image you don't attach the image to the post, you insert the web location (URL) of the image. When the post is displayed, the image will be grabbed from it's location and slotted into the post. This method means that the images have to already exist on the Internet - either in an album on TP or on another web site.

I've attached some images to explain the text box thing in Word a bit better.

1. Click on one of the text boxes of the puzzle containing a letter. This will select the image of the puzzle.

2. Click again on the text box. This will select the text box itself:

text_box1.jpg

3. Choose Format and then Object from the menu:

text_box2.jpg

4. Click on the Text Box tab and change the Left and Right margins to .15cm:

text_box3.jpg

Don't worry about taking on too much. Just take it at your own pace. You've already accomplished a lot and I'm sure you have a lot more to give.

Take care,

Sandy

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Hi Sandy,

I do appreciate all that you have done but I’m afraid I still can’t do it, I printed off and followed your instructions but when I go into FORMAT and it opens there is nothing saying (OBJECT) on the menu list, I understand what you mean and want the letters to be more central within the boxes, so I will have to have a look and see what I can do as I’m thinking we have different computer systems, I’m using Microsoft 2000 what are you using? :confused::confused:

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Barry,

First can I say how much I dislike Microsoft Word for doing anything with complex images and text? I have to do a newsletter at work using the darn thing and it is my least favourite job.

Perhaps it is a version or set-up thing. I have Word 2000. You clearly understand what the goal is - to decrease the margins on the left and right so that the full letter shows.

Can I just ask, before going the the Format menu, have you clicked (twice) on a text box with a letter and can you see the shading around the box that shows that it has been selected?

Take care,

Sandy

said

Jul 4, 2006
London
Hi Barry

It is great that you are taking the whole social group thing and running with it. I think what you and others are discovering is that this aspect of the software is still very immature.

Vbulletin, the system that runs Talking Point only introduced social groups in their latest version, and as you point out, rather than a mini-forum with the same features and functionality as the main forum they have made social groups a different and simpler content type. That is the reason there are no attachments.

There are other features that exist on the main forum that irritatingly don't exist in social group

• Stickies (threads that stay at the top of the list)
  • Polls
  • Announcements
  • Ability to quote messages within discussions.
  • Ability to rate messages
Having said that, we are not the only people who would like to see these features in vBulletin and they have a very active forum where people are suggesting exactly this. As they release new versions of the software I expect and believe some, if not all of these gaps will be filled.

The alternative would be to 'bespoke', or tinker around with the software and unless it is something that is absolutely critical I would rather not do this as it will affect the support we receive and complicate future upgrades, which as I say, I believe will deal with the issue.

As to the word puzzles. As Sandy mentioned, one way to do this would be to create a thread in the main forum, (perhaps the I have dementia section) and then create a link in the social group to the word puzzles thread.

Another option, (if, that is the word puzzles are the same as the ones on the Alzheimer's Forum website the best way to deal with this is to link directly to the download their.

This page has a list of all the word puzzles
http://www.alzheimersforum.org/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=10

You can click on the individual links for each specific puzzle and the corresponding answer.

Finally I too have had problems viewing some of your older word puzzles. There could be loads of reasons for this and as Sandy said the best way to deal with it is to convert the word document to a PDF. I think Ellie has started doing this for your latest word puzzles at Alzheimer's Forum.

Barry

Oct 14, 2006
Indonesia
Many thanks for all the advise

Hi SAID

Many thanks for your valid input and sugestions which is of great help to me and maybe others that view this part of the website
Barry;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman