New testing strategy for care home staff & residents

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Following a study which has identified higher levels of the virus amongst care home staff - particularly temporary staff - from Monday care home staff will be tested every week and residents monthly. The repeat testing will initially be prioritised for homes looking after those aged 65 or with dementia. It's not a surprise that the virus is getting into homes via the staff but the report, which is being published at 9.30am this morning, might be worth a read:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/regular-retesting-rolled-out-for-care-home-staff-and-residents

Susan11

Nov 18, 2018
Thanks for this Louise. At Mum's home many of the residents found the tests invasive and very few ended up having the test at all. I know Mum didn't. The Manager said that if 1 resident tested positive they would test everyone but for some residents its just not possible.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@Susan11 yes, I know that taking the test from some can be a problem, and research is ongoing in relation to alternatives to the swab test. Mum was compliant but there were problems taking a test from some of the other residents. I think the really positive thing is that the staff are now going to be tested weekly so at least if they have the virus it will be picked up earlier and hopefully prevent widespread outbreaks in the home. Because those with dementia may not display 'typical' covid symptoms, or could be asymptomatic, testing the residents would be an additional assurance but at least they will now be better protected from staff who are bringing the virus in.

Baker17

Mar 9, 2016
Thanks for this Louise. At Mum's home many of the residents found the tests invasive and very few ended up having the test at all. I know Mum didn't. The Manager said that if 1 resident tested positive they would test everyone but for some residents its just not possible.
My husband didn’t take the test either they couldn’t persuade him to do it. But if the staff are tested it will hopefully lessen the risk.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mums care home have been testing regularly for a while. Mum has been living there just over two months and has had at least three tests - the staff let me know each time that the results were negative for mum and for all the residents. Luckily mum has not had problems with the swabs.