New symptom - involuntary vocal noises

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Has anyone experience of this? My laddo is doing very well in many respects but he seems to have developed a new symptom. He can be really relaxed but then suddenly makes an involuntary vocal noise - a cross between shouting out and moaning. Initially these noises had me chasing upstairs thinking he was in pain or some sort of trouble or at least calling out for me. But no, nothing wrong at all. Indeed he wasn't even aware he had shouted out/made the noise. The only thing I have found on the internet to explain it is Tourette's syndrome but I can't believe he has developed that on top of everything else he has got. I suspect it is a symptom of Alzheimer's but has anyone experience of this.

Love from Sammyb

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Similar...

My Mum has spells of making little whimpering sounds, which drives me barmy! She is completely lucid and able to express herself and, like your man, doesn't seem aware of this involuntary vocalisation. I wouldn't go off on the trail of Tourette's if I were you. It's possible in theory, but I think it's much more likely to be just another manifestation of AD.

Best wishes

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Sammyb

I think Lynne's right, it's another symptom of AD.

John has never done this, he doesn't make much sound at all, but a couple of the male residents do this. There doesn't seem to be any cause, and they're both quite calm afterwards. But it's very loud, and quite startling when it happens.

The staff generally go and hold the man's hand for a while until he settles.

I'd guess it's just letting off steam, getting rid of frustration. I do it in the car!:D

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I also think it's simply a manifestation of AD. In my mother's nursing home, there are several people who cry out or make repetitive sounds. It's probably only the disease.

sammyb

Sep 19, 2007
Nottingham
Thanks for that everyone. I thought it was likely to be the AD. I don't find it disconcerting now, just strange and just something else to be alert to.

Love from Sammyb

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman