New PIP form

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
I knew that I am due to submit a new pip claim form. I've driven my wife mad about it for the last few weeks. I'm really worried about it.

It came today to be returned by 23 December.
I'm pleased I don't have to fill in the whole thing again. For each question I have to tick better the same or worse. Worse needs evidence of course.
It all seems much simpler and not so worrying now.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
So glad to hear you feel happier about completing the form.

I've every sympathy with you - I hate forms too. I always used to dread doing my Self-Assessment Tax Return.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Sarah, please ASK whether you're entitled to receive PIP. So many benefits that people are entitled to go unclaimed.

How about ringing up the Alzheimer's Society Helpline to ask for advice?

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Sarah you really should apply for pip.
I didn't think I would qualify but a benefits adviser at a hospital showed me how I do.
I get the higher tier for daily living and lower for mobility.
I did need help to complete the original monster of a form but didn't need to go for a face to face assessment. My consultant must have written a very supportive report.

I agree too many people who should don't get!

parrotface

Sep 12, 2016
Wales
Yes apply for PIP but take your time completing the form and provide medical evidence from GP, consultant, OT etc and send it with the form. Get a relative or friend to help you. CAB used to help to complete the forms but with funding cuts they can't help as much any more but if you go on their website there is a step by step guide and some examples. Remember to fill it in on your worse day. PIP is to help you stay independent and is not means tested.
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
hi sarah, go for it but as other have said please do get as much professional help as you can grab and at the first point. do not even try to do the form yourself even if you feel able. i made that mistake and it took a highly stressful 10 months to finally get my case won at an appeals tribunal.

Wayne xx

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I'd say to anyone thinking of PIP to go for it. You won't know if you don't ask.
I know everyone advises people to get help completing the form but from my own personal experience I'd only follow that advice if you really feel it necessary.

The people who provide help filling out these forms use a very formulaic method such that pretty much every form they are involved in looks and reads much the same. They stand out a mile to the staff who receive them (again speaking from experience of working in a housing benefit office) and they tend not to reflect the reality of that person's issues and life. A lot of them are rejected without even being read fully (much like CVs or book manuscripts that follow a formula).

I'd say it is far better for the person affected to complete the form themselves if they are capable, referring to the notes supplied with it and information available online (there is a wealth of advice and info available for free online) and maybe get a friend to check it over afterwards.

Obviously if the person isn't capable of doing this then they need to get help.

Completing it themselves makes the information more authentic, honest and relevant. It also means that when that person is called for an assessment or visited at home they should have an idea what was actually put on the form, as the assessor will be looking to catch them out on everything on there.

From my own personal experience I have done my own forms, without any assistance, for the past 11 years. I've never been refused DLA and now PIP, never had to appeal and always got the correct rates. I've also never used buzzwords or tried to pad answers out for the sake of using up space - some of my answers to the questions on the form have been just one word.