New phase

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
For the last few days hubby keeps telling me there is a man in the house wearing my clothes, he is very upset about it. This morning l heard him talking to someone, he was looking in the mirror talking to himself, so this is the man wearing his clothes, he didn't want to go out today, which is very unsual, he said when l get home all my clothes will be gone, how do l deal with it. When l tell him the person in the mirror is him he doesn't believe me!!!!

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Oh Pam! how distressing for both of you. This actually happened to Pete. I took all the mirrors down. You could try distraction-leading him away from the mirror-suggesting a cup of tea, or watching a DVD.

So sorry this has happened

Love,

Lyn T XX

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
For the last few days hubby keeps telling me there is a man in the house wearing my clothes, he is very upset about it. This morning l heard him talking to someone, he was looking in the mirror talking to himself, so this is the man wearing his clothes, he didn't want to go out today, which is very unsual, he said when l get home all my clothes will be gone, how do l deal with it. When l tell him the person in the mirror is him he doesn't believe me!!!!

Oh Pam , maybe tell the man to leave loudly and then tell OH he is gone?! I wish I could be of more assistance but can't think of anything else apart from maybe covering the mirrors or take them down . (((( hugs ))))) xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you Lyn and chick, we do have very large mirrors which l have thought about taking down, do you think he will miss them? He has always loved these Mirrors, they are family heirlooms very ornate. He is now shuting all the doors to stop this man getting into our bedroom, luckily we have only a very small mirror in our bedroom can only see your face. Just spoke to my Granddaughter she works with Alzheimers patients, she said they do not recognise their own face, didn't know that as this newhase has just started, thank you for your help

Tears Falling

Jul 8, 2013
My grandmother in law didn't like the lady in the mirror ( her own reflection) as she never spoke back when she talked to her. She became very distressed about the situation. Initially material was placed on top of them and then they were taken down. Eased the upset considerably once they were removed.

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you tears falling l am going to cover them up with old table cloths l don't use anymore see what happens,

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Aw Pam , as has been said try removing ..moving them. .

Not sure he will miss them , could you replace with pictures instead .

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
put some windowlene on them for a day or two.
(You can always claim to have forgotten to clean it off .....)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Was going to suggest something like Jessbow - or just cover the glass with something like plain white paper, or pretty coloured paper or something. It would the easiest solution, so the one to try first.

PS. And for the "all my clothes will be gone" - could you pack a small few things in a hold-all and take them with you when you go out, for reassurance?

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you for all your advice, it will be interesting to see what happens, l will try windowlene see what happens, they are very large mirrors l will need l bottle for each mirror, will let you know how we get on ☺

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
I have enjoyed seeing photo's of you all, this is us a year ago, the last holiday we had in Madeira.

Attachments

• 1432623371587.jpg
    1432623371587.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 498

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you Heike we have both aged so much now Mr. Alzheimers takes its toll, l try to just get on with it, l do still play bowls, hubby comes with me l enjoy the social side with lovely people, l am very lucky to still be able to do that, hope you have a good day

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thank you Heike we have both aged so much now Mr. Alzheimers takes its toll, l try to just get on with it, l do still play bowls, hubby comes with me l enjoy the social side with lovely people, l am very lucky to still be able to do that, hope you have a good day

It's difficult and so hard ! Glad you can still enjoy bowls :) here's one of me and daughter in laws at our wedding 3 years ago and John with my sons . A lot has changed since then ImageUploadedByTalking Point1432624530.205790.jpgImageUploadedByTalking Point1432624552.841630.jpg

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
Splendid photo, Pamann - as you say Alz creeps insidiously up on sufferer and carer alike. As to mirrors - It took me a while to realise that there were no mirrors on the walls of my husband's NH - except for the mirrored medicine cupboard in the en suite and that was at a height that even I found it difficult to see into. When I asked why I was given the same answer as you have highlighted in your thread - inability to realise that the person in the mirror is the person with dementia - themselves. I would just try covering them up with something as you and others suggest - hopefully another phase that will slip away. thinking of you WIFE

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
It's difficult and so hard ! Glad you can still enjoy bowls :) here's one of me and daughter in laws at our wedding 3 years ago and John with my sons . A lot has changed since then View attachment 45850View attachment 45851

Mind had me hair straightened on pic it's very curly normally ;) John and I have been together 7 years but only married 3 years ago xxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
They are beautiful photo's 3 very pretty girls, little Mia just in the photo she is so cute ☺

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you wife, l did tell hubby yesterday that is your twin brother, he said l haven't got a brother!!! he's not that silly, l do find it amazing that he doesn't recognise himself.