New phase

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello everyone my hubby has in the last week gone to bed at 6pm with all his clothes on minus shoes, he gets up at 3 or 4am undresses has a shower and shave gets dressed again in the same clothes, then is ready to go out!!!!! I am trying to sleep l make tea, and tell him to go back to bed which he does fully dressed, goes to sleep wakes at 7am does a repeat of earlier, having trouble getting dirty clothes off him without upset any advice.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello everyone my hubby has in the last week gone to bed at 6pm with all his clothes on minus shoes, he gets up at 3 or 4am undresses has a shower and shave gets dressed again in the same clothes, then is ready to go out!!!!! I am trying to sleep l make tea, and tell him to go back to bed which he does fully dressed, goes to sleep wakes at 7am does a repeat of earlier, having trouble getting dirty clothes off him without upset any advice.

Oh bless you pamann , I know how difficult sleep deprivation is ! I can't offer advice with the clothes as I haven't been through that myself but wanted to let you know I am thinking of you . Sending lots of cyber hugs to you xxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

minxie

Dec 29, 2014

Oh I really feel for you that is terrible!
My husband does this occasionally but dose sleep through the night with the help of sleeping tablets, they have worked wonders!!
Does your Dr know of this? I'm sure they could help.
I really didn't want to at first as I thought he may be drowsy during the day but he is absolutely fine and never sleeps in the day.
I do hope you can get help with this.
Thinking of you lots!!!!!! xxx

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you chick Heike hope this doesn't last to long as it is so waring for me, it is all normal for Alzheimers as they call it strange behaviour!!!

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Minxie my hubby was on sleeping tablets for this same problem a few months ago, it did make him sleep fpr 8 or 9hrs, but in the day he was so like a zombie, also made him quite aggressive, so stopped him taking them, we go the see Dr at the memory clinic next week, see what he says about this new phase, thank you for you concern and help its so nice to have support when we are going through tough times

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Panamm, Fred used to sleep fully clothed with his shoes on, even a jacket if I didn't manage to get it off him first. He didn't have the habit of getting up to have a shower, just wandering around the house all night with lights on and off and doors opening and closing. Clothes were changed in the mornings through coercion and bribery by which time they, plus bedding, were always soaking as incontinence pants moved when he was wriggling around and he was not contained, if you know what I mean Showers became strip washes when he would stand in the bath, under protest, and let me wash and rinse him down, complaining all the while. So I became his enemy and mornings and evenings became daily battle grounds. Luckily when his team of carers became involved, they were able to get him back into PJs at night and took over his personal care. Unfortunately, when he became aggressive and abusive to them too, that was the point at which the family and SS decided I couldn't cope any longer and he moved to his CH. This has reminded me of one of the reasons he is there so I suppose that's a good thing in a way!

Sorry, this is no help to you whatsoever. I would have been happy to know the answer myself.

Sent from my GT-N5110

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you truth24 when l ask him why are you going to bed with all your clothes on, he says l always have done!!! He did take his trousers off last night, he has been waring the same suit for weeks l can't get it off him he gets cross with me, l do take his shirt and underware when he has a shower, luckily so far he is not incontinent, l dread that happening will have to face that one when it happens. Like you l am his enermy.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Oh I really feel for you that is terrible!
My husband does this occasionally but dose sleep through the night with the help of sleeping tablets, they have worked wonders!!
Does your Dr know of this? I'm sure they could help.
I really didn't want to at first as I thought he may be drowsy during the day but he is absolutely fine and never sleeps in the day.
I do hope you can get help with this.
Thinking of you lots!!!!!! xxx

Hi minxie,
I would be very interested to know the name of the sleeping tablet that your husband has. Mine has tried several but only sleeps around 3-4 hours a night. Then he is coming into me and saying I can't sleep then he cries. This has been going on for over 3 weeks and I am so very tired, I am not functioning very well. He has VAS Dem. and has got worse over the last 5 weeks. I do have carers morning and evening to help him. He is not incontinent yet. Also he goes to a day centre 4 days a week. I would welcome your comments. Unfortunately I live in Sweden, but I am sure we can get the same medicine. My dr seems reluctant to prescribe strong tablets.
Thank you very much love disi x

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk

Oh, I dunno :( If I see my hubby needs changing, I just tell him so; bring in some clean clothes and help him change.

Can't you be a bit, er, gentle about it and tell him, it wouldn't half be nice to have something clean and tidy to wear?

You could be thinking: "Oh, why me?" I know. It's tough. No chance of you insisting he changes?

Mossyanne1

Feb 10, 2015
Hallo everyone, This is the fIrst time I have plucked up courage talk. I have had a really challenging week as my hubby has been regressing back to his childhood. He said I had no right to be in the house as he didn't know me, also he kept looking and calling for his mum, who passed away30 years ago. Wouldn't let me get in my car as apparently it didn't belong to me and I had. No right to drive it, first time he has become aggressive with me. Didn't know where to go for help and advice. He is now calmer, it was suggested that he might have UTI. Anybody out there had the same problems. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hi minxie,
I would be very interested to know the name of the sleeping tablet that your husband has. Mine has tried several but only sleeps around 3-4 hours a night. Then he is coming into me and saying I can't sleep then he cries. This has been going on for over 3 weeks and I am so very tired, I am not functioning very well. He has VAS Dem. and has got worse over the last 5 weeks. I do have carers morning and evening to help him. He is not incontinent yet. Also he goes to a day centre 4 days a week. I would welcome your comments. Unfortunately I live in Sweden, but I am sure we can get the same medicine. My dr seems reluctant to prescribe strong tablets.
Thank you very much love disi x

Zopiclone is the most commonly used sleeping tablet and you can buy it online. The body gets used to it eventually and you may need to top it up with something else. In our case Trazaodone but others may have another suggestion.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hallo everyone, This is the fIrst time I have plucked up courage talk. I have had a really challenging week as my hubby has been regressing back to his childhood. He said I had no right to be in the house as he didn't know me, also he kept looking and calling for his mum, who passed away30 years ago. Wouldn't let me get in my car as apparently it didn't belong to me and I had. No right to drive it, first time he has become aggressive with me. Didn't know where to go for help and advice. He is now calmer, it was suggested that he might have UTI. Anybody out there had the same problems. Thanks.

If you suspect an infection get him checked out at the GP and at the same time let them know about the aggression. They may be able to help.

Nightnurse

Nov 16, 2014
Bristol

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Yes I've had this problem over the last few weeks 1st week was getting up in the early hrs saying someone had knocked on his door telling him it was time to get up and luckily I mananaged to get him back to bed but on the last day that this happened he was back up at 7.30am then later on in the evening he packed his shoes and slippers and a few other things into his bag and briefcase and walked out of the house saying he was going home he walked round the block then came home so contacted Gp oncall who suggested making appt with gp as could have a uti as it is a sudden change of behaviour but Gp refused to test urine to see if he had, I contacted the memory service and they visited and said to continue with the treatment given by GP which is to give sedation to calm him down giving him double the dose of medication. So I'm now taking in a urine sample for it to be tested hopefully it will test positive cos that is the best solution :confused:

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
So sorry to read your post Pamann. Had clothing problems with my dear man. Towards the end he wouldn't keep his clothes on but we went through a phase when he would try to put every piece of clothing he possessed on at the same time including all his socks thinking of you WIFE

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Oh thank you wife, my hubby is putting several layers of clothes on, he thinks they maybe stolen, how strange this disease is, how l wish we could be just a normal couple like we use to be, l am sure we all wish that would happen.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
You made me smile, WIFE. Have a memory of sitting in quite a 'posh' restaurant for lunch one day when I suddenly realised Fred had on 3 pairs of trousers, each complete with a belt!!

Sent from my GT-N5110

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
We were walking the dog one day in some woods. It was a hot day but no problem as Pete loved hot weather:) Then I noticed that Pete looked uncomfortably hot:eek: To cut a long story short I noticed the hem of a trouser leg showing underneath the trousers he was wearing. We went behind a large tree and I persuaded Pete to take off one pair of trousers (result you might think) but then I discovered he had a third pair on:confused:

Pamann-sorry times are tough for you; Pete used to get up at night to shave, and shave some more. and shave some more again......:eek:His skin was in a right state.

I don't know the answer. I did ask for some sleeping tablets for Pete but as his walking was not very good the GP advised against it. I do hope that you get some help. Sleep deprivation is horrible so you have my sympathy.

Love from

Lyn T XX

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you Lyn hubby has just come back to bed, been up seen 4am he is tired now asleep, at least he is still clean after showering and shaving, several times!!!! Our son takes his father out for the day Saturdays, its so lovely to have a free day, hope you are having some better days most of the winter is behind us now, take care Pam

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thank you Lyn hubby has just come back to bed, been up seen 4am he is tired now asleep, at least he is still clean after showering and shaving, several times!!!! Our son takes his father out for the day Saturdays, its so lovely to have a free day, hope you are having some better days most of the winter is behind us now, take care Pam

Oh Pam so sorry to hear about husbands new phase ! It must be heart breaking . I wish I could offer some form of advice but I have not come across that problem yet. So glad your son is helping out as it's important for you to have some "me" time too! John has bad nights and usually falls into a deep sleep by 4 or 5 in the morning and sleeps till about 10 then . I am thinking of you and sending hugs your way xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Thank you chick we are here to support each other, you have more problems than me, thinking of you, looks like we are going to have some warmer weather for the weekend.