New nursing home... new and better lifestyle!

SmogTheCat

Sep 1, 2005
Italy
A month ago we received a phone call from the nursing home 10 minutes by walk from my house where Antonietta was in waiting list since about 3 years ago. They had a place for her!
In a couple of days we moved her in the new nursing home but we were afraid about her reactions.
How could she react in a new bigger nursing home, with news people? :confused:

First of all she was a little disoriented, but I think it is a normal reaction for everyone in a new place.
Nurses and doctors in the new nursing home are very lovely and friendly, so she was happy but a little nervous.

The new nursing home organizes lots of activities: bingo, music, games...
An "animator" asked to my mum to help her to insert Antonietta in some activity groups, so we add her to the music one. She likes to sing!

The new nursing home is better then the old one. We can visit her in the moring and in the afternoon from 2pm to 7.30pm.
if we want we can have lunch or dinner with Antoniette.

The doctor told us we can pick up Antonietta and go out sometimes, if we want.

Sometimes they will organize some activities outside, in the garden and some short trip for patients.

They also organize birthday party once a month and there are some volounteers which help and play with patients.

In the old nursing home, during last months they used to put Antonietta in bed after lunch until dinner time. Sometimes she had dinner in bed too.
This happen because she speaks continuously when she is excited or not very quiet and it seems nurses don't like to have her around. The same thing happened with an other couple of people with the same problem of Antonietta :mad:

So, what do you think about take Antonietta out from nursing home for a couple of hours for a walk or a short trip around the city?

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Smog....how geat for you, and Antionette, to have a chance at 'something new'..

My initial reaction is to say "go for it"......you do not have a lot to lose, but so much to gain.

You can but give it a try. My warmest wishes to you all.

The new home sounds really fine...lets hope everything continues along these lines, I am sure it will.

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
SmogTheCat said:
So, what do you think about take Antonietta out from nursing home for a couple of hours for a walk or a short trip around the city?

I really think that this would be well worth trialing as Connie replied,
connie said:
you do not have a lot to lose, but so much to gain.

Antonietta's new home sounds so promising and I truly hope that everything works out to your likening. Best Wishes, Taffy.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Smog,
It`s such a wonderful feeling to find a good home after one that`s less than satisfactory.
Explore all avenues with Antonietta, and allow her as much pleasure as possible.
Love xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Smog

The new home sound wonderful, and it's great that there are so many activities for Antonietta to join in. Music is supposed to be the most uplifting activity, so I'm sure she'll benefit.

In the old nursing home, during last months they used to put Antonietta in bed after lunch until dinner time. Sometimes she had dinner in bed too.
This happen because she speaks continuously when she is excited or not very quiet and it seems nurses don't like to have her around. The same thing happened with an other couple of people with the same problem of

This is absolutely disgraceful. The staff should be trained to handle hyperactivity, not shove patients out of sight.

I'd say give it a try. You'll soon know if she's getting tired, or feeling insecure, and it might well be that these little excursions will brighten her life.

Thanks for letting us know.

Love,

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Dear Smog,
The new home sounds wonderful. I agree, take Antoinette out for a short time. I would recommend starting with a shorter period at first, just so you can gauge what she can handle. I would also recommend quieter places - parks, gardens, that sort of thing. When I used to take my mother out, I found eventually that we could not go shopping or in big stores as that was too much for her. She did like going for drives in the country for a long time and walks in the park were good too. A meal in a quiet place was good too.

Enjoy your time with her. Make happy memories for yourself.
Love,

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Smog what a lovely post! Good to hear the positive side of things.

I have a friend whose husband went into care home and after a few months he was so settled she started taking him out and has never looked back.

So try it. Good luck.

Linda x

SmogTheCat

Sep 1, 2005
Italy
After some weeks in the new nursing house we notice some little "improvement" in Antonietta.
Today my Mum talked with the doctor and he gave her some good news! :)

They do not take Antonietta in bed in the afternoon for a nap (like in the other nursing home). They noticed she didn't sleep in the afternoon and tryed to escape from the bed. So they prefer she stay in the living room and taking part to activities.

She takes part to music activities and sings a lot.

She has lunch/dinner/breakfast alone, not in the same room with other people. If she eats in a quiet place she eat all food alone. If she stays in the common room and eats with other people it seems she feels not comfortable and needs help for eating and doesn't want to finish her food.

We are happy about these little improvements!:)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi, Smog. Thank you for the update.

Sounds as if you made a really good choice for Antonietta, and that she is benifitting from the move.

Lets hope the improvements long continue.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Dear Smog

Taking mum for trips out sounds great to me. We have only just started doing it with mum cos she took so long to settle in the home and we had problems with the first couple of trips, she didn't know where she was going or why. But I now feel confident to take her for a drive in the country, just an hour, maybe a cup of tea at a cafe, she has also expressed a wish to go to Tesco as we always did, so I will make a secret list of things to buy, Cranberry juice, chocolate, toiletries, tights, hairspray (not sure why she wants it!).

Thing is, it must be done NOW while she is understanding and able, another year might not be the same.

Good luck Smog

Margaret

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
SmogTheCat said:
We are happy about these little improvements!

This is good news and I hope that there are many more improvements for Antonietta.

Regards Taffy.

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Just thought of another little point, just chit-chat really.

Smog, I wonder if Antoinette would have her main course in her room and her pudding with the others - might be a thought. Also, if she makes a "friend" with someone else, that might encourage her to eat with her.

Mum has made "friends" with a most unsuitable lady who is quite disruptive in her conversation. Yesterday she talked non-stop, a load of rubbish to me and most of her fellow-residents. Part of the time she was pointing to people and accusing them of things - nobody had a clue what she was accusing them of, fortunately - but the staff had to intervene several times and tell her to "calm down". They didn't tell her to shut up, and they didn't remove her to her room. She has been like this the entire 7 months that mum has been there, just the same. Once or twice she has had to be removed for an hour or so, but they bring her back.

No, the care home isn't perfect, but they don't put anyone in bed unless they have to, almost every resident is visible on every visit I made, and I have even got to know a few of them - they recognise me when I arrive (have totally forgotten who I am, but recognise me nevertheless), and have little conversations with me, and say goodbye to me.

I do feel the staff have respect for the residents, despite the hiccups.

Good luck to all

Margaret

SmogTheCat

Sep 1, 2005
Italy
That could be an interesting idea but let me try to explain hos they are doing.
She has main courses not in her room, alone, but separate from all other people. They used to have 4 people tables in a common room. She eats on a single table in a place more quiet. Common rooms (dinning room, lunch room etc) have big windows on the corridor, so you can see through windows. So she can eat quiet but in the mean time she can see other people.
She used to eat on bigger table when she was at home with her husband. I think she feels not comfortable on "small" table with other people.

She has breakfast and tea in the afternoon with other people in the common room.

Tomorrow they organize a lunch for celebrate Womens day (it was yesterday but they will celebrate tomorrow) with relatives. My parents will go to have dinner with her and other people. We don't know how she will react to this new experience.

In this news nursing home nurses speak with Antonietta and other poeple. She likes that. When she is in the corridor or in the dinning room she spoke with every people she meets.
Nodoby tells her to shut up, never when she is very stressed and spoke continuosly saying things without any sense, like in the other nursing home. They try to calm her down or to distract with music or activities.

SmogTheCat

Sep 1, 2005
Italy
Hello again!
After some months I have good news.
Antonietta has lunch and dinner in the common room now.
She likes it and she learn to eat her meals without disturbing other residents. She says she enjoy to stay with others! :)

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
That's such good news Smog.

Seems like the move was the very best thing for Antonietta.

So glad that life is more settled for the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tori_75