New Moon?

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
just asking - for me things have been quiet/ok/can cope with - until tonight

had a great day with mum today, she on the ball, me on the ball - unsettling, made me worried, as she was not her normal difficult self, but now I feel better as I have just had a phone call from her because she is upset that no one ever visits her.

come on here to catch up - no one seems to have had a good day

New Moon?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It does affect mood. Nurses in hospital wards have remarked on the effect on the whole ward during new/full moons.

If the moon is powerful enough to affect the tide it is acceptable it affects mood.

My husband had many episodes of mood change, even before dementia. It nearly always coincided with phases of the moon.

Jancis

Jun 30, 2010
Hampshire
That's interesting about what the nurses have observed, Sylvia. It was a lovely full moon last night and I've observed over the years that my own mood is often uplifted during this phase.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
How strange.... yesterday when I visited my husband a few of the residents were restless, agitated, and one of the carers said something about it being a full moon....

Loo x

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
This is interesting. I have just experienced the most chaotic 30 minutes of my life at 3.30pm today.Most of the day centre guests all started wanting to go home, something we have never had before!!!! All at once.We put it down to a sudden dark and misty changing sky.Maybe it is the moon, very, very facinating.

GZN

Nov 2, 2011
New Moon

I am convinced that Mum is affected by the new moon - not for the first time she is very agitated and panicky. The first time she insisted she had lost something that was right in front of her, and started calling the police it was a new moon. When she had a phase of calling to ask the time in the middle of the night - same. Now she has started wandering for the first time and I check the calendar - same..... I dread being with her at this time.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
This is interesting , off thread,, I could tell if there was a full moon when my son was young without looking, by his awful behaviour he was always much worse at that time he has ADHD he's is 23 now and has learnt to control most of this but it was very worrying at the time .

Jeany x

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We always say that the classes in school are 'higher ' when there's a full moon!!

Farmergirl

May 24, 2011
Cornwall
I think there is something in this.
A long time ago, I used to be a policewoman and we definately had busier nights on a fullmoon - also more interesting.....
I remember a couple of months when we were taking people to what used to be the 'insane hospital' for their own safety (local hospitals wouldnt touch them).
Need to think back about mums behaviour - dont know if its moon-phase related.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
How strange.... yesterday when I visited my husband a few of the residents were restless, agitated, and one of the carers said something about it being a full moon....

Loo x

Out of interest I just looked up lunacy: 'origin, mid 16th century (originally referring to insanity of an intermittent kind attributed to changes of the moon.)

(Not that I am suggesting that dementia is in any way a form of lunacy, just in case anyone was getting the wrong idea, you can't be too careful....)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dfisch