1. fiona4

fiona4 Registered User

Feb 6, 2008
    Southampton
    Hi

Sorry I joined a few days ago and started posting without introducing myself. I am 45 was caring for my Mother until she went into a residential home 2 years ago and more recently into a nursing home. She is very happy at the moment although she has severe Alzheimer's now. I still care for my Father who is physically frail and often confused. As I am a pharmacist I have some strong views about the over use of anti-psychotic drugs in people with dementia. It seems to me that a kind, calm environment is much more important. It is lovely to hear from other people in a similar situation.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Welcome Fiona, it`s good to hear from you.

3. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    #3 Margarita, Feb 13, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2008

Hi welcome well said .

I have also been avoiding them as much as I can . I was lucky to get Exbixa for my mother 5 years ago . also found using relaxing music in the back ground has a calming affect on my mother .

Now mum go to day center 5 days a week and medication slowing down, I use that kind of music on the days she at home with me .

she take a while to settle after day center as she very winded up from bus journey , but music on and no TV settle her down.

4. CraigC

CraigC Registered User

Mar 21, 2003
    London
    Hi Fiona,

welcome!

If you run a search on 'anti-psychotic' you will find a few threads that discuss this issue in detail and may find a lot of people agree with you. It is an emotional issue for many of us. There have been some lively discussions on the subject as many of us have had to make some difficult decisions in this area.

You may also be interested in this thread.

MPs to examine the prescribing of neuroleptics
    http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/talkingpoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=8905

The deadline for submission is the 18th Feb I think.

Kind Regards
    Craig

5. Kit Kat

Kit Kat Registered User

Feb 10, 2008
    Manchester
    Hi!

Welcome to TP. I joined a couple of days ago and I am already identifying with people.

Hope you receive support here.