JMW

Jun 14, 2007
Hi i am a new member to this forum. I have been reading the threads for a while now and have found it really helpful in dealing with my mum's diagnosis of Alzheimer's. She was diagnosed at 59 and is now in a nursing home. Her disease was very progressive, within a matter of months she had gone downhill very rapidly and had to be taken into hospital as she couldn't live on her own. I can relate to a lot of the comments on here regarding guilt, anger, upset etc. She is now 65 but it still doesn't get any easier when i see her. She is, as they say, "a shadow of her former self". I cannot have a conversation with her but she still reacts by smiling and giving me hugs which i treasure. i must also mention that i wouldn't have got thru all of this without the help and support of my wonderful husband. He is really good with mum and with me and is always there for me. I am very lucky.
Well my first thread and i feel like a weight has been lifted. I'm sure i'll be visiting this again and what a shame it's taken me so long to pluck up the courage to do this.

JMW

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya JMW - welcome to TP - pleased you found the courage to post, I remember how difficult that first post is.
My mum also started with dementia in her 50's - hers is vascular and progressed relatively slowly. She is also in a nusing home now - she is 75, and bless her it is becoming more difficult to get any response these days. Do treasure those smiles and hugs - oh for a hug! And do keep posting. This is a wonderful community to be a part of, you will find a lot of support, and with your experience I am sure that you will be able to help others - plus we have a laugh at times!!! Which is so good.
Love Helen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to TP JMW, better late than never and you have overcome the first hurdle.

I do hope you find the help and support so many of us have found here. Only by exchanging views and experiences with those who are in the same situation, can we really be understood.

Take care

Last edited:

candi

May 6, 2007
norwich norfolk
hi and welcome to tp glad your mum is settled into her home i hope my mum settles as well when she goes on tuesday. i totally agree with amy treasure those hugs and kisses, i would give the world for one more hug and kiss from my mum. love candi x

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi

Just wanted to say welcome to TP, as already said, you'll find some wonderful people here who will support you through many stages of Dementia.
The first post is always the toughest, i hope it gets easier for you from here.

Love Alex x

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi JMW

Welcome to TP, you have found a fantastic place for support and advice, or even a place just to share and off load your worries. Keep posting.

Candi, hope everything goes OK for you on Tuesday.

Cate

jackie1

Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire
Hello and welcome,
I'm very new to this board but have already found it very helpful. It is lovely to be able to "talk" to people going through the same things and with the same worries.
I hope that you find is as supportive as I am.
Jackie

cris

Aug 23, 2006
Chelmsford
i must also mention that i wouldn't have got thru all of this without the help and support of my wonderful husband. He is really good with mum and with me and is always there for me. I am very lucky.

JMW It's very nice of you to thank your husband "publicly". I think together you must make a great team.
cris