kath217

Nov 5, 2013
Hi,

I am a new member, my grandma has dementia and was diagnosed about this time last year. The side of my family that my grandma is on aren't ones for talking and it feels like the issue gets brushed under the ground a bit. Also my grandad doesn't like change so won't consider changing their house for my grandma's needs, like even just labelling where the teabags are so she feels she can make us a cuppa when we go round (which we don't do enough either).

I have only told one of my friends, it isn't that I am embarrassed by it. I just well up whenever I think about it and can't face telling even my best friend because I'm scared i will cry!

Is this what other people have been through?

Kx

Jan 3, 2013
Sidcup
Welcome Kath217

I am sorry that you had to find this forum but welcome

I think everyone reacts differently with this dreadfully upsetting disease. I only want to cry from sheer frustration for caring with someone with it but I am sure there are many others who feel like you

As for brushing it all under the carpet that seems to be a common thing that many family member do unfortunately

Keep posting and it maybe a good idea for you to tell your best friend as that person may well be able to be some support to you. Take care

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too Kath. I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma's diagnosis. I know it's very hard and can understand you welling up. It took me a long time to be able to talk about my husband's dementia without starting to cry.

I know it's hard but maybe you could keep trying to get your mum or dad to talk to you about it. Especially about how you feel.

As 1954 said please keep coming onto this forum. I know you will get help and support here. Take care.

kath217

Nov 5, 2013
Thankyou both so much!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, had two essays due in that I've been focussing on!

I feel a lot better about everything even from just posting my first post.. So thankyou.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Thankyou both so much!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, had two essays due in that I've been focussing on!

I feel a lot better about everything even from just posting my first post.. So thankyou.

That's good news!