GingerWakefield

May 26, 2022
Hi everyone. This looks like a great forum to join. My Mum has been diagnosed with Vascular dementia, which has started to have a drastic impact over the last few months. It feels like she has deteriorated really quickly. My Dad is the main carer and it is having a big impact on him as he is in his 80’s.. I can’t help as much as I’d like to as I live a distance away and work full time.
I’m looking forward to learning more from this forum and sharing support to others where I can. Thanks for reading, Richard.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @GingerWakefield. This is a very supportive and friendly place so glad you found us.
Not living near your parents must be a worry, specially if an emergency happens, or even something that isn't quite an emergency but is a worry to your parents and you can't be there to sort it out. Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney sorted? f you don't now would be a good time to get this done for both your parents. You can then help them with bills etc and having the health and welfare one can help when having to chat to health care professionals.
I'd also try and see if you can get some help coming in. This can be tricky, and certainly wasn't anything I managed for my mother, but Age UK do a Help at Home service that might be useful. They don't do personal care, but they will do some light housework or maybe take your mum out to give your dad a bit of a break.
Vascular dementia (which both my mother and mother in law have) tends to go in steps so there can be a steep decline followed by a bit of a plateau.
I'm sure others will be along shortly with their suggestions, but in the mean time do have a look round the forums.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome to the forum from me, too @GingerWakefield.
I would definitely recommend a befriending / companionship service for your mum. Care agencies can provide that as well as personal care and if your mum has less than £23,500 in savings then a Social Services care needs assessment will help set it up and assess payments.

KatyKat

May 8, 2022
Hi everyone. This looks like a great forum to join. My Mum has been diagnosed with Vascular dementia, which has started to have a drastic impact over the last few months. It feels like she has deteriorated really quickly. My Dad is the main carer and it is having a big impact on him as he is in his 80’s.. I can’t help as much as I’d like to as I live a distance away and work full time.
I’m looking forward to learning more from this forum and sharing support to others where I can. Thanks for reading, Richard.
Hi Richard, it's good to see you here. I'm fairly new to this forum myself and also have a Mum who seems to have vascular dementia.

Question for you...How did they determine your Mum had VD? The reason I'm asking is because I've been given the run around by my Mum's doctors so far. She has a blocked carotid artery (which is why I suspect VD) and has failed the memory test totally. The GP refused to talk to me about it or answer any of my questions; in fact, he just hurried us out of the examining room, told me to call in 2 weeks, and then ignored my calls.