Nancy43

Oct 17, 2021
Hello I’m a new member. I’m so worried about my husband. He forgets so many things and loses things also. Puts items where they’ve never been before. He’s been to the memory clinic, and is having a CT head scan on the 29th Oct. He thinks it’s all a waste of time as “there’s nothing wrong with my memory” . He says that its just an old age memory. He’s 76 on the 19th oct. He sleeps most of the time, saying that he’s not well. I’m trying so hard not to snap at him but it’s so difficult. I’m scared that he’ll get lost if he goes out on his own, because when he’s our with with me, he asks continually where we’re going. I am recently registered blind, a sudden loss that they don’t know why. I have around 5% sight left and am so scared that if I lose all my sight and my husband gets worse and worse, what will we do. I’m at breaking point and feel that I can’t carry on, on my own. Sorry for moaning, I don’t have anyone else to say all this to.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Nancy43, you are not moaning in the slightest, and you've come to the right place to both let off steam and get some support. It sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate given your own health issues. Have you had any assistance from your local social services or association for the blind about how to adapt your house for your needs as it sounds like that is a minimum of what is needed? I imagine your husband doesn't really understand your sight loss which doesn't help.
I think phoning the Support Line to chat to them about what you can do to support both of you would be a good idea. They can be contacted on 0333 150 3456 or emailed at dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk, and they'll be open at 9.00am tomorrow.
I'm sure other people will be along shortly with their suggestions.

Nancy43

Oct 17, 2021
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Nancy43, you are not moaning in the slightest, and you've come to the right place to both let off steam and get some support. It sounds like you have an awful lot on your plate given your own health issues. Have you had any assistance from your local social services or association for the blind about how to adapt your house for your needs as it sounds like that is a minimum of what is needed? I imagine your husband doesn't really understand your sight loss which doesn't help.
I think phoning the Support Line to chat to them about what you can do to support both of you would be a good idea. They can be contacted on 0333 150 3456 or emailed at dementia.connect@alzheimers.org.uk, and they'll be open at 9.00am tomorrow.
I'm sure other people will be along shortly with their suggestions.
Thank you Sarasa, I will contact them as I do need help with this. and thank you, I have been in contact with the RNIB, but my sight liss is so sudden that I can’t come to terms with it yet. Hopefully I will.especially as my husband needs me so much.