• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

    You can directly access this area >here<.

New member


New member
Mar 1, 2021
I'm a new member, my stepdad went into care with dementia in July. Mum is in another care home since October with mixed dementia, I am house sitting for them, the rest of the family are in Canada, which might as well be The Moon with the covid situation. They have no Lasting Powers of Attorney, so The Court of Protection will be involved. The stress of the situation is awful, I've always been prone to anxiety, and now I have to deal with this at age 65, coming to terms with losing Mum and Dad is bad enough, but the beaurocracy is overwhelming.



Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Welcome to the forum @Andy65.

I’m sorry to read about your situation and understand that it must be incredibly stressful for you. I’m glad you’ve found this forum and know you will find lots of help, support and understanding here.

There may be some things you’d like to chat through with someone on the Dementia Connect Support line -

Having said that please keep posting here. There will always be someone here to listen.


Registered User
Jun 6, 2020
Having gone down the court of protection route for both parents, I would say that whilst it looks complicated if you take it one step at a time it is doable . You can get a solicitor to do it for you , at a cost, but you would probably have to supply them with all the information to complete the forms.
Hope this helps.


Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Andy65 and welcome from me too. Sorry to hear that you are having such a difficult time at the moment, especially with no family close by to help you and offer support. Try to just take one day at a time if you can, and there is plenty of friendly support here, and members who have experience of the court of protection will no doubt be able to offer you useful advice too. If you do start to feel very stressed and anxious then a chat with your GP may help too.