Tine1961

Aug 10, 2020
New member here been looking after mum since dad was diagnosed with cancer. Dad passed on boxing day so now myself and my youngest sister provide full time care for mum (middle sister is in denial, hasnt seen mum since the end of March).
Mum goes to day care and we are looking for respite care. Mum is self funding so we dont have a social worker but I'm a retired nurse so that helps.
After a struggle with the Dr we now have a diagnosis for mum and we do have a lot of help and support.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @Tine1961. I hope you will find it helpful and supportive.

Nothing seems to move as smoothly as we would wish and I hope you get things sorted for your mum as soon as possible.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Tine1961 and welcome to DTP.
Are you looking for respite in a care home? As you are self-funding you can just phone around and find somewhere, but I must warn you that because of covid, some places are not accepting people for respite. When you phone up ask to speak to the manager and be brutally honest about what your mum is like. A lot of places that say they accept people with dementia only want the early, easy stages and if you manage to get someone in there they may phone you to take her away again because they cant manage her.

If you need urgent respite, then the best thing is to contact SS and tell them that you need emergency respite and, if they agree, they will find somewhere.