KCMS

Jul 26, 2006
London
hello
I am new here, have found it interesting reading all the other messages. My mum is in her mid-sixties and has been suffering with Alzheimer's for around 5 years (although diagnosed less than 2 years ago). She has declined very rapidly and although Dad is still looking after her at home she has turned quite angry and violent in the past couple of weeks and I don't think he will cope much longer (nor do I feel he should have to on his own). She cared for her mother in the same situation (although granny was older), it just seems so unfair.
It's good to know there are people out there who understand.

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Dear KCMS,
Welcome to Talking Point. You will find so much support, help here.
Have you tried you local Alzheimer's Branch ?
Do you have any support at all?
People will come on line later in the day.
Best wishes
Christine

elizabeth c

Apr 16, 2008
Hi

I do understand how you are feeling. My mum also had spent years caring for her own mother with alzhei mers and was diagnosed shortly after her mother died, with alzheimers herself. It does seem so unfair. It is very very hard to see your mum become a different person - and i find it very hard to know that my mum would not like the person that she has become. I can only cope by thinking that this is not my Mum , this is another person and my true mum's self has already gone, int t the way that I have dealt with relatives deaths by thinking that their soul has gone elsewhere. Don't know if that makes any sense. Try and stay positive - it is so hard I know.

KCMS

Jul 26, 2006
London
Hi Christine & Elizabeth,
Thanks for your replies, I have felt a bit isolated before now but don't think I will be any longer. It has been hard to know where to turn for support as everything is (obviously) focussed on mum & dad, not on us, their children - i keep thinking the one person I would normally talk to if I had a problem is my mum... I have a very supportive husband but it's been hard trying to forge an emotional relationship with my father, that was always mum's thing not his.
I agree with Elizabeth about mum becoming someone else, the mum I knew so well really isn't there anymore and I know how sad she would be to see the situation.
It's lovely to be able to share with people who understand.
:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream