lockets

Feb 26, 2008
middlesex
hi my mum was diagnosed 4 weeks ago with A.D she is 68 1st noticed changes in her 2 years ago but lately she really has trouble remembering times and dates. she had a new lock fitted a few weeks back and struggles to lock it i've tried to show her many times but she's still not sure. she has just started on a research programme for a new drug in mild A.D hopefully this will slow things down

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
New here myself

You will get the replies to help you.
Kind, good people on this site.
I am not yet qualified - but will be soon.:)
Luv Barb

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Lockets

Welcome to TP. Sorry you have had to find us, but hopefully we can help.

People with AD struggle to learn new things.

I would be interested in the new drug trial in which your mum is participating, Please keep us informed

Welcome
Alfjess

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Hi Lockets & welcome

My situation is similar to your own, but my Mum is now 88 and has been drifting into the twilight zone over the past 4 or 5 years, but you often only realise it with hindsight! The start of it coincided with her younger sister's illness & death, so early signs were masked or mistaken for strain, grief & depression.

I hope the drug trial is helpful, but believe in the "belt & braces" approach. My advice (not that you asked for it) would be to encourage her to make any changes to her domestic life NOW, as her ability to cope with new things is still likely to deteriorate. I'm thinking of things like doorbell, kettle, microwave, tv and so on.

I bought Mum a new extra large remote control for the TV (it's about the size of a desk diary! She has a vision impairment problem, not related to AD, in addition to.) which she's had for about 5 weeks now. Still struggling, even though the basic functions (which is all she uses) are laid out very much the same as the old one.

I'm sure you will find Talking Point a great aid and comfort in this situation. Your best friends may be kindness itself, but you don't know what living with AD/dementia is like "unless you've been there" and in this support group there are all kinds & stages of dementia family carers represented. We can help each other, and have a place to let off steam when the pressures build. We share 'virtual' tears & hugs which - believe me - are very real.

Best wishes

Barb said:
Kind, good people on this site. I am not yet qualified - but will be soon

Barb - you qualify luv.

Last edited:

Cliff

Jun 29, 2007
North Wales
Hello Lockets,

Even though every AZ case is different, there is so much to learn about caring. And everyone here knows where you are coming from,

You'll find lots of help here and I think all of us find great relief by just visiting and "talking" here on TP.

Very best wishes,

Taffy

Apr 15, 2007
Hello Lockets and welcome to TP,

The dementia journey is a difficult one and I'm sure that you'll find heaps of friendly advise, support and understanding.

I hope that the new drug proves to be very beneficial. I certainly can relate to your present problem concerning the new lock. Such a miserable disease. Love Taffy.

zoet

Feb 28, 2008
Macclesfield, Cheshire
Hope and Kindness in heaps!

Im new on here too, making my first post today at some rediculous time in the morning because I cant sleep for worrying about my mum.
Already Ive been given some really helpful advice and a sympathetic ear from a lovely person, and Ive been reading all about other peoples experiences too, which has helped so much in not feeling alone.
I think this is a journey we are all taking together now. It seems some have already made it through to the end and now are sharing all their tears and laughter with us, which for me has given me fresh hope that I can cope with this awful disease. You must be so worried about your mum, but people will have lots of good advice and tonnes of empathy. Best wishes, Zoe.

AJay

Aug 21, 2007
Leics
Hi ZoeT & Lockets

A big welcome to TP to both of you.

I can't believe the amount of support and help I've had from TP members even when I thought I should have known better about something but didn't, posted and had fabulous responses. Keep posting, please.

My Dad lost his ability to understand how things worked, even things he'd been using for years. We had to have a yale lock removed from an inner porch door because he suddenly couldn't remember how to operate it and we were frantic that he would lock himself out of the house as forgetting his keys was also a problem. Microwave, cooker, TV remotes, radios, gas fire, shower, his electric razor, the pride alarm and pull cords, all these eventually became beyond him. He can't operate the simplest remote controls any more and it's so sad to visit and find him just sitting on his bed staring into space because he can't remember how to turn things on and off.

You'll get loads of support here, let us know how things are going.

AJay xxx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi ZoeT and Lockets

Welcome both. Zoe, glad you've had support, and Lockets, I'm sure you'll find the same. Just post whenever you want to, there's almost always someone here.

I am not yet qualified - but will be soon

Barb, no qualification required! All you need is empathy, and you've got that in spades!:)

Love, all,

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
welcome!!

A big welcome to both Lockets and Zoet! Tp is a wonderful place - everyone here knows what you are going through. Altho' every case of dementia is different, the similarities of a Carer's life tend to be high! We all feel confusion, frustration, deep love, compassion, loneliness, anger, distress, GUILT!!, and a million other emotions - usually all at once!! :D

TP is about supporting and helping. It is not about judging or criticising. If we don't think you are on the right track, we might suggest an alternative, but it is ALWAYS your decision. TP members will respect your right to make the decisions that are right for you and your loved one/s.

There is a lot of practical help and advice here too. Many questions I have had (both asked and unasked!) have been answered by the lovely members of TP. So please see this as another "home place" for yourselves. We wish for your sakes that you didn't have to join us (no-one wants to see anyone burdened with caring for dementia) but now that you ARE here, a very big welcome!!

lockets

Feb 26, 2008
middlesex
Hi All,
i'm so confused mum has been good for about 4 days remembering some bits i.e i told her i was going out for the day & she asked the next day if i enjoyed my day out which was lovely, but yesterday and today she has really struggled i found that she had hidden £100 pounds inside a book but she can't remember putting it there, and now she thinks she has received a cheque for a £1000 but either lost it or paid it into the bank she even asked if she had given it to me.
she still works part time with her sister but has had a really bad couple of days she seems anxious and when i spoke to her on the phone today she sounded slightly breathless part of me feels she should stop work in case it is causing her extra worry and the other part wants her to carry on because it's keeping her active.

lockets

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Goodness, can't say I have come across a dementia sufferer who is working before although I suppose it must happen a fair bit especially with early on set. You said she works with her sister is it a family business or do they both just work for the same employer? I have no experience of this but tentatively I would say let her keep working & busy & have something to focus her mind on as long as she is not in a position of responsibility where she could do a lot of damage.

lockets

Feb 26, 2008
middlesex
Hi Chrissyan, it's my aunts company mum does a bit of filing couple of hours a day 3 times a week but now she is finding it difficult to concentrate there's also the problem with the travelling and because each day is different i'm worried in case she gets lost

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69