New Member: Worried about surgery and Lewy Body dementia

Janey29

Oct 15, 2015
Hello,

My poor Mum has had Lewy Body dementia for around 2 yrs. The falls started a few months ago with the most serious happening last Saturday which has left her in hospital with a fractured hip and wrist. Surgery will take place in the next few days - a high heart rate and temperature has delayed so far.

She is completely out of it. This is fairly similar to how she has been over the last month although it seems much worse but could be due to the shock and pain meds.

I'm very worried about the impacts of anaesthetic and surgery. It feels like we have lost her already to be honest and just wondering if people with dementia / Lewy Body can come through this type of surgery?

I would be so very grateful for any thoughts re. this. Thank you.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
I'm so sorry that your mum is in this position and appreciate how worrying it is for you.

It may help if you could talk to the anaesthetist as it may be possible to give an anaesthetic which has less side effects.

My husband had to have a hernia operation (much less complicated than your mums forthcoming op) and I had a word with the anaesthetist who could suggest a better method of putting him to sleep for the op. I was with him when he came round in the recovery room and he made good progress post operatively.

xxTinaT

exhausted 2015

Jul 5, 2015
stoke on trent
Hello,

My poor Mum has had Lewy Body dementia for around 2 yrs. The falls started a few months ago with the most serious happening last Saturday which has left her in hospital with a fractured hip and wrist. Surgery will take place in the next few days - a high heart rate and temperature has delayed so far.

She is completely out of it. This is fairly similar to how she has been over the last month although it seems much worse but could be due to the shock and pain meds.

I'm very worried about the impacts of anaesthetic and surgery. It feels like we have lost her already to be honest and just wondering if people with dementia / Lewy Body can come through this type of surgery?

I would be so very grateful for any thoughts re. this. Thank you.

Hi janey my dad is 91 and has mixed dementia he came through an operation for a hip fracture but I think it gave the dementia a kick up the bum.. But he is still with us xx

Bill Owen

Feb 17, 2014
BRIDGEND
Wife has lewy body.

hello,

my poor mum has had lewy body dementia for around 2 yrs. The falls started a few months ago with the most serious happening last saturday which has left her in hospital with a fractured hip and wrist. Surgery will take place in the next few days - a high heart rate and temperature has delayed so far.

I'm very worried about the impacts of anaesthetic and surgery. It feels like we have lost her already to be honest and just wondering if people with dementia / lewy body can come through this type of surgery?

I would be so very grateful for any thoughts re. This. Thank you.
hi my wife has lewy body. I do feel that there is not many out there with lewy body to talk to about lewy body . Has i have posted before .sorry im dislix.so bare with me.my wife went into hospitel last week very ill.has not eat four weeks now .in the finnly stage of her life ,the cause for her declin in helth is due to not eatting. Will not swllow any food. This so hard to see her like this .only 62 stared at 58.
It very tuff for her and you to see her like this.i feel for you its so very hard .im only 62 my self .all i can say be strong .sorry but it get worse over time .

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Hi
I would also discuss with the anaesthetist in a great deal of detail.

My Ma did not have Lewy Bodies and so i have no direct experience and this may not be at all relevant but she had a femur fracture and they told us they were going to do a full anaesthetic - although I knew the risks regarding the dementia I felt this was better because she would not understand what was happening if she was awake. Sure enough they did a local!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! without telling me and she had a heart attack on the operating table - why? because she didn't understand what was happening. For weeks afterwards she kept telling me 'he was such a nice man and then he started torturing me' - she didn't remember other things but she certainly did retain this.

hence I would speak with the anaesthetist that is doing the op and see what his experience of dementia is and then what his advice is. If you are not comfortable with his knowledge of dementia then I would be tempted to ask if there is any other medical professional who could give you advice. At the end of the day you know your Mum best. Sorry it isn't more help. Thinking of you xxx

Janey29

Oct 15, 2015
I'm so sorry that your mum is in this position and appreciate how worrying it is for you.

It may help if you could talk to the anaesthetist as it may be possible to give an anaesthetic which has less side effects.

My husband had to have a hernia operation (much less complicated than your mums forthcoming op) and I had a word with the anaesthetist who could suggest a better method of putting him to sleep for the op. I was with him when he came round in the recovery room and he made good progress post operatively.

xxTinaT

Thank you Tina for your advice. I managed to speak to the anaesthetist which did make things much clearer today despite the prognosis post-op not being so great. Just going to take one day at a time. And hope your husband is doing okay x

Janey29

Oct 15, 2015
Hi janey my dad is 91 and has mixed dementia he came through an operation for a hip fracture but I think it gave the dementia a kick up the bum.. But he is still with us xx

Thank you for your reply and pleased to hear your Dad got through it okay :)

Janey29

Oct 15, 2015
Hi
I would also discuss with the anaesthetist in a great deal of detail.

My Ma did not have Lewy Bodies and so i have no direct experience and this may not be at all relevant but she had a femur fracture and they told us they were going to do a full anaesthetic - although I knew the risks regarding the dementia I felt this was better because she would not understand what was happening if she was awake. Sure enough they did a local!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! without telling me and she had a heart attack on the operating table - why? because she didn't understand what was happening. For weeks afterwards she kept telling me 'he was such a nice man and then he started torturing me' - she didn't remember other things but she certainly did retain this.

hence I would speak with the anaesthetist that is doing the op and see what his experience of dementia is and then what his advice is. If you are not comfortable with his knowledge of dementia then I would be tempted to ask if there is any other medical professional who could give you advice. At the end of the day you know your Mum best. Sorry it isn't more help. Thinking of you xxx

Thanks Fizzie and sorry to hear you had such a tough time with this. It really does seem to affect people in such different ways. My Mum is not really aware of much going on which is probably a real blessing for her. Just trying to take one day at at time. Take care and thanks again :)

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Thank you Tina for your advice. I managed to speak to the anaesthetist which did make things much clearer today despite the prognosis post-op not being so great. Just going to take one day at a time. And hope your husband is doing okay x

My husband had LBD and a hernia op. So I though it may help you somewhat if I posted. He died three years ago but not as a result of the op. I think the disease just wasted him away in the end.

xxTinaT