New member saying hello

Rodelinda

Jun 15, 2015
Suffolk
Just to say hello and I'm impressed and heartened by the range of experience and knowledge from fellow members. I am in the foothills of being a carer. My 88 year old mother has lived with us for 3 years and from being an independent and strong-willed person she has become pretty dependent on us over a relatively short period. She has a range of low-level medical problems and is increasingly immobile but is seems pretty clear that she now has some form of dementia and we are awaiting a referral to the hospital services locally for assessment. She spends most of her time in bed and (and is unwilling to be 'stimulated') although we do get together for supper and I spend time with her and help her with various things. She increasingly doesn't understand what we say and has almost no short term memory. We have a brilliant GP surgery. It's fair to say that I'm daunted by the future.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Rodelinda

Welcome to talking Point. :)

It`s good you have found it at the start of your mother`s dementia and I hope you get all the help and support you need.

There are some excellent Factsheets to start with. You will find them here.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Welcome to TP and thanks for sharing your story so far.

I am so glad that you have a good clinic and GP as an understanding doctor is going to help you get through many daunting things in the future.

We have a wonderful GP who has helped me enormously in getting my OH diagnosed and who actively participates in his care, not just for Alzheimer's but other health problems and he really is my 'Go to' man when I need to sort out some issues. We have been his patients for about 8 years and so the receptionists have also become our friends and allies.

I wish you strength for the future.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning and welcome to TP.

It certainly can be daunting but I'm glad you've found TP. You'll find lots of help and support here.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi Rodelinda
Welcome to TP . I hope you find it as helpful and supportive as I have over the years.
Feel free to ask questions.