New Member - Saying Hello

JG427

Jun 18, 2005
Sheffield
Hi everyone

I've just been reading a number of threads and identifying with many of them! My Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimers in December 2003 when he was 78, but his short term memory had been poor for 2 or 3 years before that. I was living in England, and my parents were both in Ireland and I was worn out trying to visit them - the best I could manage was every 6 weeks.

Last summer, I moved them over to Sheffield to a flat just behind my house and although the demands on my time are far greater than I could have imagined it's been great having them nearby. My mum couldn't have coped for much longer on her own - she's in good health for her age, but she's 81! Dad also has physical mobility problems - he can only walk a couple of steps using a frame - and is also being treated for prostate cancer.

I have noticed that, although he is not physically violent, he has become increasingly verbally abusive - usually to my Mum, but occasionally to me and my husband as well (we have no children - just as well as it's a full time job keeping an eye on the parents!). He is always really apologetic afterwards and I think the combined frustration of his memory loss and his mobility problems is what causes it. He was the type of person who never stayed in the house, but now it's a major performance to get him out of the door for even short journeys.

The good news is that his memory loss appears to have stabilised since he started taking Ebixa. Physically he is deteriorating, but mentally he appears good, with less confusion and fewer episodes of asking the same question numerous times! If NICE come out against these drugs, I'll be finding the money to pay for them privately. The other thing worth mentioning which might be of interest to others is that he started Ebixa during the early stages - his score on the memory test was quite high and it hasn't gone down. The reason for this was that his slow heart rate meant he couldn't have the 'early stage' drugs, but it makes me wonder if more early stage AD sufferers might benefit from Ebixa?

Anyway, it's great to have found this forum - my grandmother (Dad's Mum) had Alzheimers in the 70's when there was no treatment and very little support and at least some things have improved! The downside is that I know exactly what's in front of me and I'm going to need all the support I can get (fortunately my husband is very good with Dad and very supportive). Keep up the good work!

Janet - Sheffield :)

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Janet,

Welcome to TP. Great to read such a positive post in the face of adversity. Look forward to regular posts between us all later.

Keep up the good work!

Jude

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hi Janet and welcome to TP.
It's good that you have a husband that will support you,as you say you will need all the help that you can get.
I like your positive outlook it must help.
Post whenever you wish, and you feel the need,someone will be here for you.
Best wishes
Norman

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seabream