New member - need advice re my dad

Kaz01

Jan 7, 2007
Midlands
Hi,
I am mainly on here as my dad is in moderate to severe stages of AD. He has been prescribed Serenace which I believe is a strong tranquiliser. Has anyone else had experience with this as I am worried what I read about it? Would really appreciate advice.

twink

Oct 28, 2005
Cambridgeshire UK
My hubby was on Haloperidol for a while and it worked well for him. He had a dreadful 'panic attack' one night and a locum put him on it but the psychiatrist took him off it and said it wasn't his choice of drug. It certainly calmed Steve down whilst he was on it.

Sue

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
my mum was also on haloperidol for a few months, but the doctors didnt feel it was doing her any good and put her on a antidepressant, which seemed to calm her down, for a while anyway, in my opinion the doctors seem to try out all sorts of different meds untill they find one that suits, as not everyone responds in the same way to the same drug.

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
my mum was prescribed haliperodol(serenace) when she had a few days stay in hospital last year.....it was re-precribed when she stayed in a respite centre later on and she has been on 2 doses daily ever since.
It has certainly lessened her anxiety but i find the morning dose more effective than the evening dose......occasionally it can make her more anxious in the evening if i give the second dose after about 6pm.
When she first started i found her to be alarmingly dopey but this has now settled and I'm just so pleased that she has less paranoia and anxiety attacks now