New member looking for support for Mum who is twin

Alyson

Jun 19, 2015
Hello, my name is Alyson and I am a new member. I am trying to help my Mum cope with the fact that her identical twin sister has dementia. If there are any twins out there in a similar situation with experience of this I would to know how I can help my Mum and my Aunty. Luckily to date my aunty's husband has managed to care for her in their home but this is getting more difficult as he is getting old too and my Mum is getting increasingly worried about her sister having to go into a home. We have never come across dementia in our family before so we are struggling to understand the illness really. My aunt has now got some support and gets taken out a few times a week which has helped her and her husband too.
Thank you in advance

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Alyson

Welcome to Talking Point.

It must be very upsetting for your mother to see her twin with dementia. It`s the first I have heard so am not able to offer any similar experiences but just want you to know people here will try their best to support you in any way they can.

There are some factsheets which might be helpful to you. You will find them here.