New Member-How to care for my spouse who is only 50

juljohns

Feb 18, 2020
My husband started having memory and cognitive issues in 2008 and became permanently disabled in 2012 due to the memory issues. he was diagnosed with mixed dementia Vascular/Alzheimers in 2015. I feel like I don't know where to turn or what to expect with him only being 50 yrs old now. He tends to sleep all day and most of the night (up and down) and when he isnt sleeping he constantly stays to himself out in the garage listening to music. Im not sure what Im asking for, I just feel helpless and very disconnected from him to the point I myself am becoming increasingly depressed. I don't know what stage he is in or how to find out.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hello @juljohns and welcome to DTP although I’m sorry you have had to find us..
have you spoken to the GP about your concerns?
you need to contact SS for a needs assessment for your husband and a care assessment for yourself as a starting point
I’ve attached the link to the Alzheimer’s factsheets if that will help

juljohns

Feb 18, 2020
I was taking him to a local recreation center for the disabled twice a week while I work, but with his age he feels like he is being "labeled" because everyone else is so much older and more physically handicapped. Getting him to go now is getting more and more difficult. He has diabetes which is out of control and he picks and chews at his fingers until they bleed ( just finished rounds of IV antibiotics for staph infection). Not to mention diabetic neuropathy which causes him to fall and he gets depressed from having to stay home all day as he no longer able to drive.

Im not sure to whom you are referring to when you say speak to the "GP?" More information on this would be helpful.

Thank you

juljohns

Feb 18, 2020
I am in the United States and yes, it means the same thing, my apologies. I am more familiar with PCP (Primary Care Physician)
We do see his GP who really doesn't help too much with the dementia itself but does try to assist with medicine for anxiety and infections. We usually see the Neurologist for his dementia, but those appointments are only a few times a year.

I feel like I am neglecting him by not "making" him do more outside the home. But I also, feel its easier not to argue with him and cause more irritability. If he is comfortable, I normally just let him be.