New level of confusion

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
For the last few days, my wife (PWD) is displaying a new level of confusion. For example, I will walk with her to the settee and show her where to sit, she hesitates, looks around and refuses to sit down. Eventually, she will sit down on the coffee table or on the arm of the chair.
I am fearful that this confusion will continue and I will be unable to cope.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im guessing that this is a problem with spacial awareness. She can see the sofa, but doesnt know where it is. Some people with spacial awareness problems try and sit on a chair that isnt there and end up sitting on the floor..

Try guiding her to the sofa, and, holding her hands, get her to reverse so that she can feel the seat on the back of her legs. Put one hand around the back of her waist and if the seat has arms get her to hold them as she lowers herself onto the chair. Your hand around the back of her waist will reassure her that she is not launching herself down onto nothing

Alex54

Oct 15, 2018
Newtown, Wales
is it possible that your wife has an infection? Chest infection or UTI maybe? Especially if this happened suddenly..
Yes, it is highly possible, she has been treated for UTI's for the last month now, the problem is that we are unable to get to the GP surgery and the doctors will only make a house call if it is an emergency.

MoodyC

Sep 22, 2018
Hi Alex, my husband can do the same when he sits down. He either misses the chair and needs guidance which he doesn't like or goes and sits on the footstool instead of the chair. A friend of mine said that they knew someone who did the same so it's possibly spatial awareness. Hope you get the UTI sorted.