New Interview Stephen Ladyman

Chris

May 20, 2003
Community Care magazine & website has a new series of 60 second interviews - the first two of these is published on www.communitycare.co.uk and Stephem ladyman is the 2nd one.

He speaks about Homeshare International - where younger people can live in older peoples houses (like a ldoger) for low rent in return for helping them out. What do you think about this? It has worked well in some areas and has also been used by people who have dementia and live alone.

It is possible to subscribe (its free) to Community Care email News and receive brief news items - I found it quite good to keep up with the latest legislation & moves in care profession. If you dont have time to look at it - you can jsut press delete - havent had any other stuff coming through due to this - to my knowledge anyway.

C

Chesca

Dear Chris

You've been digressing all over the place tonight! I'm worn out! Some reading to do alright. Thought it would help with my insomnia.......and then you go and mention the Ladyman!!!

Will get back to you. Lovely, bloody lovely! to see you so busy on our behalf, once again.

Lots of love for now
Chesca
xxx

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
New interview

Dear Chris

I have just read the interview and as far as I can see he is just going to put another layer into the system with his DASS post. What is required is a layer or two taking out.

With regard to the homeshare scheme I think it leaves Dementia sufferers wide open to abuse, and that it would almost certainly happen.

Barraf

C

Chesca

Well, we're banjoed on the prison front apparently, Lord Chancellor issuing a screed along the lines of ' if your local nick's full to busting, give the murderer a spade and tell him to do some community gardenin'.

So, we allocate rooms in the homes of the lonely and bewildered as lodgings for our local homeless. If only I had had that availability of help! I could have just walked away and said 'free room, board and lodgings and any nursing skills are a bonus (£10 a sesh) if you don't manage to resort to violence in your first week, you not having any emotional attachment to your landlord/lady. Call my answer phone if things get a little sticky! Get back to you next August!'

I can see what he is trying to say, pity he doesn't, but it has been done - it was called community! People with spare space would make that available. In another life, certainy, not in this one, I remember a neighbour, a widow, from my childhood who provided lodgings for trainee cops. Not good enough for a trainee cop now - he will probably want wall to wall walls of his own and people of any substance after training now share expensive properties with their peers as their right of passage, and then move on.

Now, let's move to planet reality. Has Mr Ladyman ever had the experience of letting a property he owned, to anybody, let alone the young and feckless, not discounting the old and feckless who can be worse? I have - the stories I could, and probably will tel!!! It would help alleviate the social problem if we didn't live in a world where nobody is any longer accountable for their own actions, a world wherein it's always somebody else's fault whatever the felony, and respect for one another was to the fore in any dealings. It isn't. That is the fault of successive governments.....but the electorate put them there. We get Ladyman and Blair himself, the new Rachmans of the estate agency world. Can't wait, me! The elderly share a home with a stranger? They're already doing it but they're called burglars against whom they have no right of defence. What's the difference? Pass me the spade Hilda!

Why is it that whenever I see a picture of Mr Ladyman I think of Daffyd, the only Gay in the Village, in Little Britain? Is it other-planet syndrome..........can't help it! Sorry if it offends. I find Daffyd rather endearing in his ignorance...........dangerous, but endearing!

Chesca the landlady
Rules
Running H&C all hours, in before midnight and don't use the sauce bottle after 7.00 unless you are prepared to share the sauce!

Last edited by a moderator:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Interview

By Gum Ches, you do go on a bit don't you? You managed to say in full page what took me two lines to say.

Mind you, it is all true and I am in total agreement, now if we can only get the rest of the 60m in the country to agree we have cracked it. Whatever "it" might be.

Love Barraf

Last edited:
C

Chesca

I know. Sorry about that! It was late and I was BORED off my conk. Just thank the gods that you don't have to actually LISTEN to it!
Love
Chesca

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Well, I'm seething. Tell you why? Some years ago an elderly great aunt of mine, was cared for by a series of carers supposedly overseen by SS. My aunt had money you see, and would not go into a home. The said carers stayed/lived in the house she owned next door to her own. She lived many miles away from us, so we only managed a couple of visits a year but some other closer relatives popped in every few weeks. She was a lovely little old lady and she had advanced Parkinsons. The carers were supposed to keep her company and tend to her needs, she paid enough. When my Mum died I found a copy of my aunt's will and it listed the monies outstanding at her death which had to be paid to SS! I never did meet with a carer, they were never there, the other relatives complained on many occasions about this. My point in this rant? Well if that was trained carers, what will happen with those just wanting a room I ask? Sorry, really cross, going now! Love She. XX

Last edited:

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Yes Sheila you make the point exactly.

You think you have heard the most insane ideas. then they come up with another even worse. I'm afraid there is no limit to the absurdities that officialdom can come up with, I despair.

Cheers Barraf

Chris

May 20, 2003
Hi all

I do agree this could sound really dodgy - just as I'd be wary of engaging a firm to supply someone to live in my house while I'm on holiday ot look after my pets etc But lots of people do this & it works out OK. Yes - of course it is different where vulnerable people are concerned - but i have heard it has worked out OK in some instances.

One of the companies says it arranges and manages matches between householders and homesharers. It also offers training on issues such as diet, religion, cultural differences, physical disabilities and dementia. Homesharers are aged 25 plus, live with older people for mutual benefit, with no money changing hands. In return for free accommodation, they provide: 10 hours of practical care per week during evenings and weekends, and maintain a presence in the home each night, as well as at least four evenings a week. They have branches operating in the South of England.

I guess it is giving more choice - perhpas only good idea in the early stages of demenita.

I looked at Homeshare International website and three is an account from an Australian law student living in London who did this.