New here

Django21

Sep 19, 2021
Hi everyone, im new here and would just like to say hello
My dad has been living with a diagnosis of alzheimers for about 5 years, mum (79) has been looking after him but it's all too much now. Dad was admitted to hospital 10 days ago after a reaction to his flu jab. He became aggressive and agitated and so was kept in and moved to a side room. He was able to walk and talk, although it made no sense and he knew I was there....move on a week and he's now pretty much bed bound after falling twice, not eating, not drinking, completely incontinent, has no idea I'm there, hardly opens his eyes and has someone with him 24/ 7. Does this sound like I need to prepare for the worst and soon? Nurses say they can't ( or wont) tell me anything and speaking to a Dr is impossible. I know they are all busy but it's my dad! X

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Django21

It sounds as if your dad has had a very strong reaction to the flu jab and it`s possible the nurses won`t tell you whether or not he`ll recover because they simply don`t know and don`t want to make rash promises.

It really is a case of wait and see which I know is hard for you.

I hope you will continue to post and I`m sure others will offer their support and advice.

Pacucho

Hello @Django21

Sorry to read about your Dad's reaction to his flu jab.

When as you say your dad "became aggressive and agitated" in hospital did they check to see whether their was a cause for this, such as a possible infection ? It may be worth raising this as well just in case.
Hope this helps,

Paco

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @Django21

This must be extremely worrying for you. It may be worth contacting the hospital’s PALS (Patient Advice and Liaison Service) team. Contact details should be on the hospital’s website. They should be able to help you find out more information or improve the flow of communication. PALS teams do seem to vary from hospital, to hospital but worth a try I should think.

Django21

Sep 19, 2021
Thank you everyone for your replies, the drs are saying that there is nothing wrong with him apart from the alzheimers they have done lots of tests. Just a waiting game I suppose. I will give pals a go, thank you