New Here

DuskStar

Mar 22, 2008
Hey

Well I'm new to this but unfortunately not to dementia.

I'm in my 20's and am currently a student at uni. Before I started at uni my Granpa died, he had suffered from dementia for many years. As I'm sure many of you are aware it was a horrible few years, having to call the police to find him, trying to reason with him, stopping him from physically and mentally hurting my family. In the last year of his life thankfully we found a wonderful BUPA care home who were wonderful. I cared for him as much as I physically could, though I was only a teenager at the time, so there was only so much I could do.

I moved away to uni shortly after he died, so I now live very far from home. Recently my Grandad (on the other side of my family) has been told he has Alzheimers. I'm finding it hard to accept that yet another person I love and care about has this horrible disease.

Anyway, I'm currently in the process of trying to find a way to fundraise for the Alzheimers society, and to deal with the prospect of losing another family member to this horrible disease.

I guess part of the hardest thing for me is accepting I'm losing someone before I've actually lost them, if that makes any sense!

Anyway enough from me. But its nice to see a few other people that understand. I've never really known anyone else who has experienced this.

Last edited:

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
Welcome to TP, sorry to hear you have had two members of your family with this horrid disease.
I am sure you will be able to find lots of advice on here.

Good luck with the fund raising.:D

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
Hi & Welcome

It's bad enough losing one grandparent to this illness without now having another diagnosed. :(

Best wishes to you.

Beverley x