new drugs

brianjavea

Nov 26, 2005
javea
has the B M A agreed that the drugs Exelon & aricept are of great benefit to some AD patients & are these drugs now available on presciption?
pleae advise
brian

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can`t tell you about Exelon, Brian but my husband was prescribed Aricept and also Reminyl [which is pretty much the same] last year, by the Psychiatrist, so it must have been agrred by the BMA to be available on prescription.

Unfortunately, it didn`t agree with him and it had the most awful side effects. There was I, feeling really lucky this drug was being made available to us, and my poor husband had such dramatic hallucinations, he had to stop taking it immediately.

So I hope you have a better experience, if you are able to get it.

Regards Grannie G

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi brianjavea,
Exelon is at present being used but only on a Consultants prescripton. I have been on this for the last two and a half years, and my life has been changed.
This does not always work on all patients, but I agreed to go on it a see if it would work for me.
The consultant said it may work but at the end of the day it was down to me whether I wanted to take a chance, because like many people I was living a life of pure hell.
It does work but I am not sure how long it will last, but to me it is worth it just to be living life again. I feel as if I have been given an extension to my life, and in that time I have seen my two new grand daughters starting life, Something I never thought I would be lucky enough to see. I think everyone who has Dementia or AD should get the treatment that is available irespective of what these governments think.

Good luck

kenc

Last edited: