New diagnosis

gillian69

Sep 7, 2006
Cambridgeshire
Hi

My name's Gillian, my mum has just been diagnosed with Mixed dementia(possibly Alzheimer's).
She has been having problems with her memory for the last 2 years, and finally been diagnosed. My father is her carer and has been hiding the diagnosis from us, until this week when my father suffered a heart attack and ended up in hospital and my sister had to look after my mum( i went to visit one day as i live 3 hours drive away).
She is 68 years old and has been prescribed aspirin at present and nothing else. In the last 6 months she has changed alot.
She was disorientated, aggresive, repetitve. Basically she did not have a clue about anything?
We are all really concerned for both my mum & dad and would appreciate any advice anyone can give us?

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Gillian,
Welcome to TP. If mum has been given aspirin, sounds as though she is being treated for vascular dementia.
Do mum and dad have any support? I think it is important that it is put in place straight away, because of dad's health. The GP can organise a CPN (Community Psychiatric Nurse) to call. Social Services may help with day care - people coming to the house or mum going into a day care centre. Contact the local Alzheimers Society, they may be able to give advice face to face.
Do not allow dad to say that everything is OK, he can cope on his own. He can't, and it is going to become more difficult (Sorry to sound so hard - but maybe at this point it is your dad's health that is the greatest concern.)
If mixed dementia has been diagnosed then ask the GP about medication for the Alzheimers - aricept may be appropriate - it can slow down the progress of the disease - but you may have to battle to get it. I am sure others will be able to tell you more about medication.
Keep asking questions on here - it is the best source of information I have found. Both carers and sufferers contribute to the site - everyone has first hand experience - these people are the experts!!
Love Helen.

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hello gillian,
welcome, theres not much that i can add to amy's thread, except to say your mum sounds like my mum when she was first diagnosed and she's now on quite a cocktail of medication, which needs to be reviewed every now and then, i hope you manage to get all the help that is available to you and i wish your dad a speedy recovery
take care

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Hi Gillian

Perhaps your father was not so much 'hiding' as 'protecting'???? Whether that be mum, himself - or I guess most probably yourself and sister??

Just wanted to say welcome, to wish your dad well at this particular time ... and to let you know there are people here to listen and support....

Love, Karen (TF), x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lesley&john