1. Chelster22

Chelster22 New member

Jun 20, 2019
    Hi. My 91 year old dad was diagnosed last week with Alzheimer’s and Vascular Dementia. Although not a surprise it’s devastating. I was expecting tears from us both but he was “relieved it wasn’t anything more serious and as long as he can still get his little dog out on park he’s fine”. He’s almost blind with macular degeneration and the last 3 years since we lost mum has broken his hip, had a heart attack and at least 1 TIA . The memory nurse mentioned the Alzheimer’s Society would be in touch to talk about the “ next few weeks and months” and I’m not sure whether or not I read too much into that comment . I didn’t have the heart to ask any questions in front of dad who has now decided he needs more blood round his brain and is swapping a pint with his evening meal to Guinness. He’s a tower of strength. I’m a total mess thinking about what happens next

2. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Hello @Chelster22 and welcome to DTP

Its usually overwhelming when you first get the diagnosis, even when you are expecting it. Your dads rection of accepting the diagnosis, but with no insight about how it affects him is common.

There is a wealth of knowledge and information on this site. Have a mooch around and look at various threads, but do remember that not everything that is talked about on here will happen to your dad. There are also the Societies factsheets, which are very helpful
    https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets

3. nae sporran

nae sporran Volunteer Host

Oct 29, 2014
    Male
    Bristol
    Welcome to the forums @Chelster22. It is overwhelming when you get that diagnosis. You will find the support you need here from a friendly membership who have been through a few battles and even if you never have to fight all the same battles we can help you.
    The Alzheimer's Society visit will likely just be a chance to discuss things like Power of Attorney and maybe the need for outside carers and a sitting service or day centres if your dad needs to ask for those from social services. It may be worth your while asking for a care needs assessment for him and a carers assessment for your self from social services. The Alz Soc and the carers centres also run carers support groups where you can find moral support and advice over a cup of coffee.
    I won't give you too much information, but these are the kind of practical things that help take some of the pressure off.