New development

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
It is intermittant at the moment but becoming more of a problem. My voice is diminishing and at times I can hardly verbalise. My throat feels 'tight' but not constricted - if that makes sense.

I am interested if those carers for PWD who are now aphasic recognise this as the start of non-verbalisation?

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Dunroamin sorry to hear this. Have you contacted your GP and asked to be referred to Speech and Language Therapy team because your throat is feeling tight? My FIL‘s voice became weaker as his dementia progressed and he was referred to them for help.

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
Hi @Dunroamin I do recommend contacting your GP about this for a full look.

My dad has aphasia and it affects his ability to find words, not the throat. He is gradually getting hoarser but the ENT doctor had a look with a scope and said this is a normal part of aging. He did have speech therapy for both finding words and the physical speaking, which helped greatly.

Raest

Jan 15, 2022
My husband has logopenic asphasia and was referred for speech and language said they wouldn’t deal with my husbands condition. I thought that was the same everywhere but it would seem other areas PWD are seen. It seems a bit of a lottery

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brose