New Dentures?

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
Recently I had a break from my mum and my sister stepped in. During this time my mum lost her top denture palate (not a full palate) and eventually the next day my nephew found them. In the period where they were lost, my sister decided my mum needed to visit the dentist.
So she made an appointment. When the denture turned up, I suggested she cancel the appointment. She disagreed and said that she needed new dentures as they were a bit loose and she should visit a dentist. I strongly disagreed as she is coping with the ones she has.
However she was very insistent and said 'people with Alzheimers still need to do things that aren't very nice'. She said she would simply ask the dentists advice.
She took her to the dentist where she had impressions for a new denture with extra teeth on it.
Now I honestly don't think that she will get away with new teeth, and personally don't think its worth the distress of trying to get used to new teeth.
My mum keeps reading in her diary about going to the dentist and is a bit stressed out about it. She doesn't want new teeth and doesn't want the expense (she has plenty of money, its not the financial side - she has always scrimped and saved and is reluctant to spend any money.)
she has another dentist appointment next week (I am at work) to check the teeth size and colour, prior to the new denture.
Has anybody got any views on whether a new set of dentures for an 81 year old with Alzheimers is a good idea?
My sister says I fuss too much.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Tell your sister that's what denture fix is for.... Keeping loose dentures in the mouth :)

Mum was in very early stages, 3 years ago, when I went with her to get new dentures and that was stressful, both for her and me......

These dentures don't fit properly now, so denture fix is used.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I see the wisdom in dentist visits and for vulnerable people you can request a referral to a community dentist that does home visits.

Whether new dentures are worth it, I couldn't say, but if your mum is against them, she might not wear them or get used to them anyway.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Now the process has started, you'll be charged whether or not your mum goes to her next appointment. Let her wear whichever one she wants - always good to have a spare. and if she turns back to old denture, put new one in a safe place, just make sure old denture comes back with her! This is what I did with mum's new denture, no matter how hard I tried and every time I swopped old with new, somehow she knew and was always removing it saying that it did not feel right.

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Now the process has started, you'll be charged whether or not your mum goes to her next appointment. Let her wear whichever one she wants - always good to have a spare. and if she turns back to old denture, put new one in a safe place, just make sure old denture comes back with her! This is what I did with mum's new denture, no matter how hard I tried and every time I swopped old with new, somehow she knew and was always removing it saying that it did not feel right.

Tin ..... That is such a good idea about having spare dentures.

I could never get my mother to the dentist!
Mum had to many old school anxiety memories stored in her long term memory .

When I lived abroad I lost few front dentures of mine during the night, they must have fallen out, the dog found them:eek: as I found them all chewed up lol :D.

Now that did teach me to take my mother mine out ever night put them in denture-cleaning solution.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
Thank you all for your responses. Just to update on this, the next appointment is 2:10 today. My sister cannot take her as she has to work, so she said my nephew would take her (mum wasn't happy about this).

This morning (whilst at work myself) my nephew (who is unreliable at the best of times) rang to say he now cannot take her. So I have to leave work at lunchtime to take her.

I am lucky that I have an understanding boss, but I am livid when I am in this situation that I never wanted her to go to the dentist in the first place.

Once again - its all down to me! Rant over - sorry!

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa