New Deal for Carers

Petrus

Aug 7, 2007
Northumberland
The government is currently holding a series of consultation events around England gathering input for their New Deal for Carers document to be drafted shortly. I was invited to attend the consultation in the North East held on Wednesday this week.

At the end of the event, attendees were invited to submit any further thoughts to the civil servant leading the development of the new deal. I thought that some of you might be interested in the succinct letter which I forwarded Wednesday evening (see attachment). I have not, yet, received any acknowledgement or reply. I anticipate that I will and look forward to sharing them with you.

I have three key reasons for pushing hard on these issues:

1. I am receiving superb support for my wife (J.) yet so many others are not. If one group of people can deliver the existing policy well, why cannot all?

2. Unless and until the existing policy is being well delivered there is little value to be gained from improving the policy - it won't be delivered either.

3. Poorly-delivered policy almost always costs more than well-delivered policy. Until there is cost-effectiveness with today's policy there will be a huge reluctance to grant further government resources. Unusually in government policy work, it is crystal clear that the care of dementia - and other mental illnesses - demands significant further resource. (In most other areas the fundamental problem is resources waste because the policy is being poorly-delivered). It is not right for us simply to demand that further resource, we must think through how it can be paid for. That means we must justify one or more of a) tax increases; b) efficiency savings; c) different priorities within government.

Finally, if anyone has a way of getting these thoughts into the higher echelons of the Society, please feel free to forward them. As those of you who have read some of my earlier posts will know, I have been totally unsuccessful over the past year in getting any acknowledgement from the Society's office - e-mails, letter, request on survey or phone. Were it not for the occasional change in the society's home page, I would conclude that the office personnel were "virtual".

Attachments

• 071012 Critique with Contact Details Deleted.doc
    32 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:

Petrus

Aug 7, 2007
Northumberland
Garnering Support & Applauding

Further to my letter to Whitehall in the post above, I have provided the letter (attached in the post above) to the consultant, care manager and GP head of practice working with me in caring for my wife (J.).

I thought you might be interested in the cover e-mail I sent to them - (sanitised for annonymity purposes):

"All,
I was invited to the government consultation on the new deal for (unpaid) carers which is being developed at the moment. I had solicited any input from people in the valley through the parish weekly notices and got three comments – all on financial support and respite care.

At the end of the event, attendees were invited to provide any additional comments by e-mail to the civil servant in charge. My comments are in the attached brief letter (see post above). You will note:

1. My acknowledgement of the superb support I have had from everyone involved with J’s case.

2. My frustration that government is spending resources repeating work that has already been done and ignoring the clear conclusion to be drawn from that work – the issue for carers is NOT policy related it is about delivering effectively to individual carers what is already intended for them. My business experience is that this can be achieved only by doing the really hard, never-ending, support and empowering work on work processes that is the proper role of management. From experience in other interactions with government here and abroad, there is rarely the appetite or skill within the higher reaches of government (politicians and civil servants) to lead such work. Without it no organisation can be fully effective. One cliché in this management skill area says it succinctly, “Every organisation is perfectly designed and functioning to deliver the results it delivers”.

So why have things worked for J? The professionalism of you and your teams; more importantly, the co-ordination between you and the clarity (to me!!) of who is leading what, together with your ability to understand what we, the family, want for J. and working with us to achieve that.