new carer

egg

Jul 31, 2004
Birmingham
1/8/04

Hi

I am new to this Alzheimer’s talking site and after two weeks of reading all your messages I have finally plucked up courage to have a go.

(I think you are all wonderful and hope that I can as good a carer for my husband as you all are.)

I think that somewhere on my browsing I actually saw a part where new people can say hello but now I can’t find it! So I do hope you do not mind if I say hello here and introduce myself.

I am also posting this same message on the section for ‘Support for People with Dementia and their Carers’ as that’s where all the ‘action’ seems to take place.

I am the 52-year-old wife of a person who three weeks ago was diagnosed as having Alzheimer’s. He was only 51 two weeks ago so is very young to have Alz. Colin Cosgrove of the Alzheimer’s Society suggested I might find some help by using this forum.

I have good support here in Birmingham as there is The Working Age Dementia Service and we have had visits and help from a social worker and a nurse.

However I realise that the people who know best how to cope and manage day to day are the actual carers and so I hope you don’t mind if I start asking a few questions.

I have had experience of Alz as my husband’s father had it in his seventies as have a number of my parents’ friends BUT it’s still different when it is your own hubby and he is so so young.

So (sorry to ramble on)

Question One – Does anyone out there have any experience of having a partner who has had Alzheimer’s at a very young age?

I reckon that’s enough to start with – otherwise I shall be wondering like Jude if I am hogging the forum. I have loads of questions and thoughts and my brain is continually buzzing with them all but I shall try to ask one thing at a time.

So I am going to post this and hope I get it right.

One last thought – Isn’t the Internet wonderful?

Egg

Kriss

May 20, 2004
Shropshire
Welcome to the "club" Egg!

I can't offer help on the age thing but I'm sure you'll find lots of support here. They're a wonderful, amazing bunch and I am in awe of how so many cope with so much.

Ask away!

Kriss

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Dear Egg,

Yes indeed, a very WARM WELCOME to you.

Brucie and Norman will be on your case asap I expect, as will Izzy when she returns from her holidays, as well as several others. They are the stalwarts who caring for their spouses, as I'm sure you know from checking out the Talking Point.

The rest of us will be here to chip in with 'tea and sympathy' and every other type of support for you. We all have good days and bad days and the help is a wonderful comfort.

Best wishes, Jude

susie

Nov 30, 2003
shropshire
Hello Egg
Welcome to the forum where wecan all let off steam and pick up a few tips. My husband was diagnosed with AD and frontal lobe dementia last November at 59 although we had seen great changes over the last 5-6 years that rang alarm bells. You seem to be on the right track already with psychiatric nurses and social workers,but do amke sure you claim all the benefits you can after a life time of paying in to the system. It helps for your husband to be as active mentally as possible and continue with as near a normal life as possible. Don't forget yourself as you will need a break from caring and this is where family and friends can help. Don't worry about hogging the postings as we all enjoy a good read.
Do keep coming back with more question.
Susie.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Hello Egg
I cannot coment on the younger sufferer but I know a man who can!
Post your problems I am sure that they will be common to all of us irrespective of age
Best Wishes
Norman

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alanpotts