New carer of husband with dementia.

Mojosho

Sep 13, 2019
I have cared for my husband for 31 years with heart failure, diabetes and other ailments. I have coped all that time quite well but now he has dementia and seems to be declining rapidly. It seems like all his ailments are breaking him down at the same time. I always had help and advice in the past but I have been struggling on my own and I have heart failure. I started posting on heart foundation web site and hope I will get advice, support and encouragement here now.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Mojosho and welcome to DTP
Im sorry the hear about your husbands decline. Dementia seems to take problems up to the nest level.

Unfortunately, with dementia you often have to find support yourself. Have you had a recent Needs Assessment from Social Services? This is often a good place to start. Im sure that other people will be on with more suggestions too

Mojosho

Sep 13, 2019
Hello @Mojosho and welcome to DTP
Im sorry the hear about your husbands decline. Dementia seems to take problems up to the nest level.

Unfortunately, with dementia you often have to find support yourself. Have you had a recent Needs Assessment from Social Services? This is often a good place to start. Im sure that other people will be on with more suggestions too
Thankyou for my first reply. I'm very grateful. Yes we had social services assessment but they have a waiting list!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to the forums from me too @Mojosho. That is a lot to cope with on your own. My partner has diabetes as well as dementia and trying to get her to understand her dietary needs is hard work.
Sorry you have to wait for a social services assessment. Was that just a care needs assessment or did you get a carers assessment for yourself too.
I find carers support centre to be helpful and local carers groups are a great source of local information as well as moral support. If you type your postcode or location into the search boxes at https://carers.org/ and https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you you should find those and lunch clubs or day centres.
Keep posting, you will find a wealth of information and support here.