New caregiver

Joidevivre

Aug 4, 2015
My husband is 84, and is suffering with both Alzheimers and Parkinsons. He is unable to walk without a walker and very weak. Has had heart problems in the past. He still knows everyone, and is able to carry on conversations, yet has lots of moments of confusion. Falls asleep all the time off and on.

What I most wanted to know is if there are volunteers from the Alzheimer's Society who would come into my home for 5 or 6 hours a day two days a month? Is there usually a charge? I just need that little "get away" time.

I look forward to reading more of your postings and glean some information. And just to know you are all here gives me a good feeling.

Joi

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
Good morning & welcome to TP.

Yes the Alzheimer's society do have befrienders (my aunt is one) but I'm not sure if they are in every area.
Contact your local branch.

Also Crossroads provide people to sit with people. They are a charity so no charge.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Just to note that not all Crossroads are charities. In my county, Crossroads is the county council branch of caring, and they are quite expensive. 3 hours used to cost more than a day, 6 hours, of daycare! Though a few years ago it was free!

Joidevivre

Aug 4, 2015
Good morning & welcome to TP.

Yes the Alzheimer's society do have befrienders (my aunt is one) but I'm not sure if they are in every area.
Contact your local branch.

Also Crossroads provide people to sit with people. They are a charity so no charge.

I will phone the society today. Thanks for responding.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I'm really thankful you've posted this subject, Joidevivre. It gives me hope that I'll be able to do this myself when things settle. I'd love to do this type of job. I hope you find someone to come and help you out.

All the very best.