New care home

skinnny

May 5, 2020
mum recently had to move care home after 6 months as the covid funding ran out and where
She was was too expensive for S.S . She's only been in new carehome about 5 days and she is very agitated and confused when she talks to me and says she thinks she's in a guest house and that no-one has explained anything to her. Of course she blames me for the move.
The care staff say shes fine with them doing art work and chatting, eating and drinking ok. I exspessed my concerns to the lead on the day who said she'd seen this behavior before and that she's trying to make me feel guilty.
I know things will probably improve as time goes on as she did eventually settle in the old carehome but the extra move is hard on her and on me and the covid situation makes things worse of course.
She is isolating but even mentioning the word seems to distress her. So I've just kept it simple and said see you soon.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
How long did it take for her to settle in her previous care home? It will probably take about the same time for this one.

Yes, lots of them are fine, happy, joining in, and then as soon as they see, or hear, their relatives its like a switch and suddenly there are complaints about everything and the demands to "go home".

Dont try and explain - she is no longer able to understand the reality of her situation and you will just make things worse. Keeping it simple is probably the best way to go.