new boy

manboy

Aug 26, 2015
penryn, cornwall
Hi I'm Manboy,
I'm caring for my Mother, I have just moved in with her, (her house) I have been visiting her daily for 2 years now, every day her condition seems slightly different, and even changes by the minute at times. (vascular dementia, early to mid stage)

I'm slowly learning my way around this forum, it's my first go at this.

Having not had a break for 3 years now, i'm keen to find a free or reasonably low cost service, that will "drop in" for an hour or two daily, i have been given details of "admiral nurses" (Cornwall) by our p.c.d.p, but have not tried contacting them as yet.

Wondering how to start looking at all the options, I want to get it right first time.!?!?!

Manboy :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi and welcome to TP. I'm glad you've found us.

I think you should give the Admiral Nurses a ring. We don't have them in Scotland but I know everyone speaks very highly of them.

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hello, manboy and a warm welcome from me too. Has your mum (and you for that matter, as a carer) had an assessment to see what her (and your) needs are?

Depending on your mum's financial circumstances she may be entitled to various carer packages that would help her and also give you some respite. A financial assessment can also be carried out to see what, if anything, your mum would need to contribute if she (and/or you) were deemed eligible.

Your first port of call for these assessments is social services.

Good luck and do keep posting!

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
Hello, manboy and a warm welcome from me too. Has your mum (and you for that matter, as a carer) had an assessment to see what her (and your) needs are?

Depending on your mum's financial circumstances she may be entitled to various carer packages that would help her and also give you some respite. A financial assessment can also be carried out to see what, if anything, your mum would need to contribute if she (and/or you) were deemed eligible.

Your first port of call for these assessments is social services.

Good luck and do keep posting!

in the uk you are entitled to 9 hrs a month from Age Uk we have found them very helpful as we have had MIl living with us for nearly 3 years ' other wise if you need more its £20 an hr which we did use on Saturday to cover us while my daughter got back from holiday so we could go away for our 23rd wedding Annerversary .worked well