New and scared my mam has just been diagnosed

Ali north east

Nov 29, 2019
Hi my mam has just been diagnosed with the onset of Alzheimer’s, I noticed about 18 months ago but everyone said it was just her age , she did a quick test at docs and just passed it , the doc told me to keep an eye on her , so here we are 18 months in and she has now been diagnosed , the consultant came and see us and there starting her in medication, am scared because I don’t know what to expect , even though we had discussed it with her it came as a shock and I just cannot get the look on her face out of my head.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Good morning @Ali north east and welcome to DTP.

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum’s diagnosis and can understand how frightening this must be. I’m so glad you’ve found the forum and I know you will get help and support here. At the moment your head must be spinning. When you’re ready you can use the forum to ask questions, share concerns, get things off your chest or just to read experiences of others. There will always be someone here to listen.

I wondered if you would find this factsheet about Alzheimer’s of any interest. There are many factsheets available on the forum but I don’t want to overwhelm you.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/about-dementia/types-dementia/alzheimers-disease

Please keep posting as I said I know that members will be here for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
, even though we had discussed it with her it came as a shock and I just cannot get the look on her face out of my head.

I`m so sorry @Ali north east I know how that feels.

Use DTP to get as much help and support as you need. All of us here have experienced the same shock and dismay and will be ready to share information and experiences.

If your mother needs to discuss the diagnosis, it will help if you can be prepared but I would let her broach the subject first.

It sounds as if you have a good consultant so do not hesitate to contact them if necessary.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hello @Ali north east

Everything feels as though it’s changed when you get that awful diagnosis but actually nothing has changed yet. You have a name for the problems you’ve noticed with your mum but she is still the same.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is to read what you can but remember that not everyone gets all the behaviours and problems so don’t let it scare you.
The best thing I ever did was join DTP as the support and advice here is second to none.

I’m sure your mum must be worried about her future. I found that telling my dad I was there for him and always would be helped to reassure him in the early stages.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @All North East, I know it is scary when you first get the diagnosis but @Bunpoots is spot on, your Mum is still the same with the problems that you have already noticed, what this does do is potentially open doors for support as and when you need it. It is important to remember that every person is different in terms of their progression. I know it is quite raw at the moment and you will have lots of questions and the obvious anxiety about the future, but one word of advice that I would give is try not to let the worry for you and Mum to be all consuming, try and enjoy life with Mum in the here and now. All the best, and keep posting with any questions you have or simply if you want to share - the members on the forum will be here to support you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanetR