New 24 hour helpline

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
Just had an e mail letting me know about a new 24 hour care line for carers which the government are setting up

The Carers Direct telephone helpline
is due to go live on 1st April 2009.

This is the second part of the carers’ information service which was first announced as part of the Health and Social Care White Paper and then in the National Strategy for Carers.

The free telephone advice line will open 7 days a week and will provide a comprehensive advice service for carers wanting information and advice about benefits, how to get care and support, breaks, housing, equipment, etc.

WEB ADDRESS: www.nhs.uk/carersdirect
FREEPHONE NO: 0808 802 0202

xxTinaT

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Tina.
I have registered with the site, you never know when it might come in useful.

jenny48

Sep 19, 2008
Hi Tina

Just tried the link got through ok thanks nly problem it only covers England apparently. Scotland, Northern Ireland or Wales
are not included.
Thanks anyway, maybe someday we will all be able to acess the same information.

Jenny:rolleyes:

Chrissyan

Aug 9, 2007
N E England
It looks to be a good service, let's hope the staff are trained well. :)

When I was at my GPs on Wednesday I noticed they had some forms to fill in if you were a carer, it was like a little booklet, giving details of local carer groups etc. I filled one in & handed it over to reception. I wonder if this is related to this.

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
Hi Tina, thanks very much, I hope I never need it but you never know do you, good to know there will be someone out there to in an emergency .Lynn

Meldrew

Apr 28, 2003
London
I'm pretty sure that it's not open 24 hours. The Carers Direct website states:
'Lines are open 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, 11am to 4pm at weekends. Calls are free from UK landlines'