Never give up - Never Surrender

Millie51

Jan 11, 2015
Napier, New Zealand
A year ago I was diagnosed with EOMD, I still find it hard to accept at times. I have been through the initial grief, but find if I think of things too deeply, I will be a blubbering mess. This is such a massive thing to digest - this huge monster that has taken over our lives. Every now and then I can unearth it and contemplate the future - but not often

One day, a few months ago, I woke up thinking 'I have no hope and no future'. I was full of absolute nothingness. I'm a very positive person and have always believed there was hope. But with this illness, where is the hope? Where is the future? I felt terrible, so empty, so alone with this awful black hole engulfing me.

Hours later, this voice came to me, Winston Churchill saying, ' Never give up - never surrender'. I quickly went out and wrote it on my white board. I was giving up, I was surrendering - to this awful disease. I had to change the way I was thinking - and of course there is hope. I wrote up another board with all my hopes on - I hope to see my son and his partner get married, my first granddaughter to go to school etc etc. There's always hope, we just have to look at things a different way.

Yes, this illness is very depressing and debilitating. It's not easy to pull yourself up at times, to climb out of the black hole - I know I've been there many times and probably so has everyone else here.

Be strong, never give up, never surrender - God Bless everyone xx

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Good morning Millie

What a positive post :)

It's cold and dark here, early morning. I was sitting here wondering what the day would bring for me and I read your post. It's made me think and I'm feeling a bit more positive about today.

Thank you xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Good morning from me too Milli :) my OH has the same motto good ! When looking hard there's always that little positive to be found x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good morning Millie

Welcome to Talking Point.

We have several very strong TP members with a diagnosis who are not giving up and they have the respect and admiration of all on the Forum.

It`s a tall order but as none of us know what tomorrow will bring perhaps we should all adopt your attitude.
Simply because none of us know what tomorrow will bring I am trying to live in the now, live in the moment. I try not to look back or too far ahead in the future.

I hope you will find Talking Point useful and supportive.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Feeling pretty bleak here about physical health problems that seem unable to get resolved, I feel humbled by your post Millie.
Your post is so positive and my worries so negative.
To dwell on the downside of life can never help to lift the spirit and I hope your spirit keeps you strong.
Thank you for this reminder that there is always hope. x

Millie51

Jan 11, 2015
Napier, New Zealand
Good Morning 2jays :) I'm really glad my post helped you, sometimes all we need is to read something positive and it can change our view completely, hope you enjoy your day xx

Millie51

Jan 11, 2015
Napier, New Zealand
Good Morning Grannie G :) I'm looking forward to being on TP, it is essential that we all have support, this is the first time I have joined a forum, so look forward to learn from others x

Millie51

Jan 11, 2015
Napier, New Zealand
Good Morning Saffie :) Sorry to hear you're feeling pretty bleak, unfortunately life gets to us all at times, it's really good that my post helped a wee bit. I'm also from just outside Southampton, take care x

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Good Morning chick1962 :) I think your other half must have the same thoughts as me, I usually try and see the positive side - it's not always easy though x

Thank you Millie :) yes John does not give in either and nearly 4 years into this journey he is doing really well albeit a few set backs but they are expected . Love your positive posts x

MIKYPLUM

Jun 8, 2012
never give up never surrender

this message is so very true, for I have beaten cancer in my life, beaten a major stroke, and now I too am determine not to let v,dementia, get me down, as I always have had a positive attitude, to beat whatever life throws at me, my motto has always been that id I wake up dead then is the time to worry