1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Nervous about seeing Dad again

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by boomerang45, Jan 7, 2016.

1. boomerang45

boomerang45 Registered User

Dec 22, 2010
    West Midlands
    Hope I am in the right forum!! My father is in Australia, I'm in UK. My beautiful husband died from the pneumonia following Alzheimer's so I have been emotional seeing Dad on visits. So far he is really good, still clothes himself, showers, shaves, toileting, and even helps prepare teas and coffees, etc, but doesn't know my name if someone talks about me. He is hallucinating now and thinks he lives on a cowboy ranch. I am off to Australia on Sunday and nervous about how he will be. Anything I can do to ease those nerves?

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    I think your nerves are natural. I hope your visit goes well.

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Just be yourself and let you dad see you being yourself. It`s OK to be emotional. You don`t need to pretend. He is your dad.

Have a good trip. Enjoy what can be enjoyed.