Needs Assessments to cover visits ?

Cecilia

Jan 31, 2012
It's been a while since I've posted anything and things have changed somewhat. Dad (98 with dementia) was rushed into a care home four weeks ago when overnight the agency decided they needed two Carers cos his mobility was so bad anyway long story short. He is going to be moved form his respite home to a home half an hour plus from where him and mum live. Social services found the home and we've tried more local ones but they have refused to have him because of his behaviour. He swears a lot, somedays.

Question is should mums (93 compus mentus) needs assessment cover the cost of getting her to the home so she can visit him ? Or should his assessment cover the cost of getting her to him ? Family are spread over the country so do what they can and with only one of us local it's unfair to expect him to do the round trip everyday.

Any thoughts ? Or is it down to volunteers ?

Cecilia
X

steffie60

Jan 22, 2013
Hampshire
Getting finances to help is always a difficult one. Perhaps it is a mixture of all the thoughts you have and at 93 does your mother want to visit every day? Perhaps you could manage a rota system of local volunteer groups together with family support at weekends. I would imagine a taxi would be cost prohibitive. Are there really no other homes more local that could be found? Can your SW give you a bit more time to help sort something out?

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
There is a schemeherewhere I live where volunteer drivers take people to appts, and visits just like your mum would need. It is organised through the local community volunteer services. You pay mileage, much cheaper and a known person taking you. Also dial a ride ????

If I were you I would do a search on line for voluntary services in your area. Possible crossroads could offer that kind of service too a few times a week.

I feel your mum at 93 might find visiting every day to be very exhausting.

Cecilia

Jan 31, 2012
Many thanks, I'll look into volunteer drivers and yes you are probably right about everyday being exhausting. Difficult when they have never been apart. One day at a time.

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated.

x

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951