Needing some help!

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
Hello all. I am currently studying dementia as part of my job as a support worker for Mencap in England. And the truth is ... I would understand a little better if I could speak to people who have been diagnosed with dementia. So far, I have been studying for two weeks and I have to hand in some course work this tuesday and I am stuck on two pieces. If anyone could help me I would be so grateful.

First piece: I need to speak to someone who has been diagnosed with a dementia that would be willing to share their thoughts on what having a dementia is like for them. As everyone has their own individual experience to how it makes them feel.

Second piece: I need to speak to people who take anti-dementia drugs. (Aricept, Exelon or Reminyl) How would you describe the effects of the drug on your quality of life? Do you think the drugs work?

I hope my questions don't seem too personal. I apologise if they are. Any help I get would be much appreciated.

Many many thanks ... I look forward to hearing from you.

Trina

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Howdy there... Neil here (Staff Nurse, Mental Health - working in Dementia Care) - check out this thread:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/TalkingPoint/discuss/showthread.php?t=1721

This was something I asked the good people on here re: their experiences of medication, especially the so-called "Anti-Dementia" drugs.

Hope that helps.

Also... to get insight into Dementia, I highly recommend the book "Dancing With Dementia" by Christine Bryden - the author herself having a Dementia diagnosis, this is a personal and therefore very unique piece of writing that really does give you someone's perspective.

As to talking to People with dementia re: their experiences etc. - have you thought of approaching any groups in your area re: this... don't know the protocols where you are, but a few phone calls may help to see if anyone is willing to discuss.

Hope any of this is useful - if I can help in any other way, don't hesitate to get in touch.

:)

N.

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
Thanks Dearth!

Thanks for your response Neil ...

The thread you sent me was fantastic. That has really helped. I am going to order that book too!!

I have today got a list of Dementia Care groups & Memory Clinic Services in my area, so tomorrow I plan to make a few calls and hope that people will be as helpful as you.

I am on my second section of course-work now. I have to contact various Professionals/Carer's supporting people with dementia. Are you part of the Community Mental health Team?? If so, again I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks again for your response! Much appreciated.

Trina

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Trina said:
. Are you part of the Community Mental health Team?? If so, again I would really appreciate your help.

Afraid not - I did some time with them as a student nurse, but not a lot - I work on a Dementia Assessment Unit (new to it, and not long qualified).

I will send a link to another site that may be useful to you in a second as a P.M. - if this is new to you, just click on the 'Private Message' thingie on the top right of your screen to see - it's from my 'Dementia Notebook' and might be of interest.

Let me know.

:)

N.

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
coursework

Hi Trina im shaun im a social worker and i work with clients with alzheimers and there families if they have them.If you want any help with your coursework im more than happy to assist you. Shaun.

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
Thank you Neil & Shaun!

Hi Neil.

Call me blonde but I don't know how to message you privately ... This site is so new to me ... I'd never even heard of a "thread" until now!! I would love to read your dementia note book - if your sure you don't mind.

Thank you for your response Shaun ... I will definately get back to you! I need all the help I can get!!

I have been on the phone all morning speaking to various doctors surgery's. I rang 8 in total in my area. (Again, as part of my course work) And none of them had any written information on dementia. Although I was offered leaflets on "Mental Health" and "Older People" from one particular surgery. I was quite disappointed by this. I have also spoken to a nurse at my nearest Memory Clinic, Bath and she was very helpful.

So far I have learnt so much about dementia and the feelings of people who have it. Thank you for your support.

Speak soon.

Trina

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
Thank you Neil & Shaun!

Hi Neil.

Call me blonde but I don't know how to message you privately ... This site is so new to me ... I'd never even heard of a "thread" until now!! I would love to read your dementia note book - if your sure you don't mind.

Thank you for your response Shaun ... I will definately get back to you! I need all the help I can get!!

I have been on the phone all morning speaking to various doctors surgery's. I rang 8 in total in my area. (Again, as part of my course work) And none of them had any written information on dementia. Although I was offered leaflets on "Mental Health" and "Older People" from one particular surgery. I was quite disappointed by this. I have also spoken to a nurse at my nearest Memory Clinic, in Bath, and she was very helpful. She took time to speak with me for nearly an hour on the kind of assessments they undertake once someone has been referred.

So far I have learnt so much about dementia and the feelings of people who have been diagnosed with it. My nan had multi-infarct dementia. I never knew the in's & out's of this condition until beginning this course. Sadly she wasn't on any medication. I have been wondering if she was on meds and was given the right type of support, would she still be around today? I guess I'll never know. She died of a stroke connected with the type of dementia she had. (vascular) My Grandad (other side of the family) was diagnosed with the later stages of Alzheimers disease. He died last year not recognising any of the family. He couldn't make sense of anything. Again, he wasn't put on medication either. Possibly the GP's felt the disease had progressed to far. But if I remember correctly, they never discussed medication or what other support groups there were available to him. Shame I didn't know then what I know now ... I would have pushed for more support. But at least I will be able to support others in the future.

Thank you so much for your support.

Speak soon.

Trina

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
opps!

Opps!! Having another blonde moment!! Didn't realise my first message/thread got posted. So it's gone twice ... with extra on the second!!

Apologies!!

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
coursework

Hey Trina, a blonde moment eh!!! so what are you stuck on and what exactly do u need to research for your second part of your assignment. I shall be on tp later tonight if you want any advice 9ish. Shaun

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
Course work

Neil ... Thanks for the notebook. Truely amazing!! I managed to work out how to open private messages aswell. It helped being logged in!! Thats why I originally couldn't suss it out. Doh!!

I am very grateful to all the people that have been contacting me privately. The information I have received has really helped.

I am currently looking into the Care/Support groups for people with dementia and their families. I have made numerous calls ... but I need to find out what peoples impressions are of a support group they attend. No names will be mentioned in my work.

Also, has anyone has had a Community Care Assessment done? ... What is the purpose of the assessment and the range of help a Care Manager can provide?

Thanks again!!

Trina

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
Shaun

Hi Trina im shaun im a social worker and i work with clients with alzheimers and there families if they have them.If you want any help with your coursework im more than happy to assist you. Shaun.

Bear with me ... I'm not great on the computer!!!

Hiya! As your a Social Worker you may be able to help me with this question!!

What are the range of benefits that need to be considered when someone is caring for someone with a dementia? How would they go about seeing if they were entitled to these?

Cheers Shaun,

Trina

oneofmany

May 15, 2006
Devon
a reply

can't help with your studies I'm afraid. you couldn't tell me how to post my own message. I'm being rather dense and have looked at website but no joy. many thanks.
my mother has mci and helping out students such as yourself is something I think might interest her. the timings aren't right for yourself but its something I'll see if she wants to explore when I next visit her.

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
Hello 2 one-of-many!!

you couldn't tell me how to post my own message. I'm being rather dense and have looked at website but no joy. many thanks.

To be honest I'm not the best person to ask ... managed to post my message completely by chance. Now I just reply!! Hopefully Neil (Dearth) will read this message and help. He is a whizz on the computer!!

Good luck!! :)

Trina

May 8, 2006
Wiltshire, England
oneofmany

you couldn't tell me how to post my own message. I'm being rather dense and have looked at website but no joy. many thanks.

I think you just go to new thread ... and post your new message there!!

Hope that helps!! :)

shauny

Oct 27, 2005
north-east england
coursework

Trina, when it comes to benefits a visit from a finance officer from social services or dwp should assess a persons entitlement to benefit i think depending on there circumstances. A lot of time c.a.b and age concern assist with people as well.Shaun