Needing more than sympathy

Discussion in 'ARCHIVE FORUM: Support discussions' started by connie, Mar 6, 2006.

1. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Hi all, having put in place care morning and evening for Lionel, I was coping reasonably well.

Yesterday around 10.00am my back went. Ouch. As I have had two op's on same in the past I was pertrified. However, I am still up, but not running. Absolute agony, can't sit, can't stand without pain.

But of course I now need more help with Lionel. One of our carers stepped into the breach yesterday afternoon, and she has been such a help this morning. Should be taking us both to dentist today, have had to cancel. Will just have to get on with things. Just hope Lionels mobility holds up a little, till I am able to take the strain, literally.

Other than that, all O.K. Look after yourselves, Connie

2. Michael E

Michael E Registered User

Apr 14, 2005
    Male
    Ronda Spain
    Connie hi,

That's dreadful - do not know how you are coping with pain and worry! Is this a time to consider asking Lionel to go into a home for a short while? It is possible he would understand - remember and co-operate??/

good luck with it - thinking of you

Michael

3. Brucie

Brucie Registered User

Jan 31, 2004
    near London
    Ouch!

I have a bad back [damaged while gardening originally] and was once off work for 12 weeks when a couple of discs went bad - to relieve one was to make the other worse, and vice versa. Fortunately, Jan was in the early stages then and looked after me.

I can't even begin to wonder how someone with a bad back could cope caring for someone with dementia. But I do know that if anyone can, you can!

Do get any help you can!

Best wishes

4. BeckyJan

BeckyJan Registered User

Nov 28, 2005
    Derbyshire
    I really do sympathise but know you will cope (with difficulty). I also have had back problems made worse by the constant 'lugging' and lifting. Thanks to a wonderful physiotherapist I am on regular back exercises but do dread being in your present situation. I find it hard when David just does not understand that I can have a problem and still expects the same care and attention. Hope you pain soon eases Best wishes BeckyJan

5. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    I get back pain have seen one of those people that crack your back lol forgot name

Great site May-help http://www.spine-health.com/topics/topics01.html,but it look like your going to have to take time out for yourself like Michael says Lionel
    to go into a home for a short while?

Take care ((Hugs)))

6. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Thanks for messages. Lionel is due to go into respite on 21st so only two weeks.

I shall manage, have just put some more home care into place. Agreed that lifting and lugging himself around does not help, but I had back problems long before I met Lionel. You learn how to Lift, bend, sleep, around your back, guess I just forgot something yesterday. That will teach me. Stay strong, Connie

7. Margarita

Margarita Registered User

Feb 17, 2006
    london
    Connie
    Glad you got restpit sorted out

I had the bath taken out & had a disabled shower put in the value gone ,so they put a new one in ,the man could not get the hot water to run ,the engineer meant to ring to make a appointment since last Thursday the secretary of the office today said he was meant to ring me today& hear I am waiting ,teenage arguing with me why they are taking so long ,how can they let a disabled people or even us with out a shower am pulling my hair out .

8. Lulu

Lulu Registered User

Nov 28, 2004
    Hello Connie. There is one thing I DO understand, and that is back pain. Can you get some physiotherapy? Do hope that you are soon feeling a little easier.

9. Norman

Norman Registered User

Oct 9, 2003
    Birmingham Hades
    Connie
    you will manage,knowing you as I do.
    I have had some shoulder problems,I wonder why?
    Just had 4 sessions with an Osteopath and it is cured,at least it's gone away for now.
    Keep smiling Connie
    Norman

10. Nutty Nan

Nutty Nan Registered User

Nov 2, 2003
    Buckinghamshire
    A prayer

Dear Connie,
    You may have heard of the plea "dear Lord, if you can't give me a lighter load, please give me a stronger back" - I think a bit of both would go a long way!

Best wishes!!

11. Lila13

Lila13 Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Good luck with getting the help needed, both caring help and physio or other physical help.

Lila