Need to vent - dad looking really ill- again!!

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear All,

Hope you’re all hanging in there with your own dementia journey.

Well, in the last 2 weeks dads been in bed for a couple of days. On the surface of it , no problem, but he’s lost 2.7 kg last month. And while in bed been practicing the “ dead look”. He is really thin and pale. They thought he had another UTI, but fortunately not the case. Today, I’ve been in and he’s in bed again looking really ill. Not really talking much, or eating. Had a temp in the night. He had really bad shakes in his hands and legs, like Parkinsons. He’s also be scra his legs red raw and bleeding.

It’s this pendulum effect swinging from one thing to another. I‘m finding it so had to cope. I feel we are on the final stretch. Might be wrong, even though he’s been diagnosed with severe vascular dementia. I’m Sleeping really badly and majorly grumpy and bad tempered with hubby. He’s so patient,but…

Thanks for listening.

BFNx

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It's a very difficult stage @garfield3 especially when there is so little you can do to help your dad.

He does sound agitated. Have you asked if there is any medication to calm him down?

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
If he had a temperature he may have an infection. Can the GP take a look at his leg it may have become infected. I assume they have tested for covid. I hope he can be made comfortable if he is at palliative care stage.

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Dear All,

Hope you’re all hanging in there with your own dementia journey.

Well, in the last 2 weeks dads been in bed for a couple of days. On the surface of it , no problem, but he’s lost 2.7 kg last month. And while in bed been practicing the “ dead look”. He is really thin and pale. They thought he had another UTI, but fortunately not the case. Today, I’ve been in and he’s in bed again looking really ill. Not really talking much, or eating. Had a temp in the night. He had really bad shakes in his hands and legs, like Parkinsons. He’s also be scra his legs red raw and bleeding.

It’s this pendulum effect swinging from one thing to another. I‘m finding it so had to cope. I feel we are on the final stretch. Might be wrong, even though he’s been diagnosed with severe vascular dementia. I’m Sleeping really badly and majorly grumpy and bad tempered with hubby. He’s so patient,but…

Thanks for listening.

BFNx
Hi.It really is an awful disease. My dad has been bed bound now for a while. He goes out in a chair sometimes but not for too long. Dad doesn't talk much either. It really is a difficult time and all I can say is my thoughts are with you. Not much help I know . ( hugs)

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Thank you all for replying. Palliative care hasn't been mentioned. I don't think he's quite at that stage, yet. Who knows, it might all change . Will check about infections.
He'll probably be up and in his chair today and brighter. Some days he's sort of OK and chats more.

Thanks again. BFNx